We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advice for vacation trip

York, Pennsylvania
5 posts
Save Topic
need advice for vacation trip

Three adults are planning on a vacation to Norfolk/Virginia Beach in June . I know that many military activities are in the area and a great beach with boardwalk.

Would guess we would stay somewhere in Norfolk and drive to the beach Virginia Beach as desired. Does this sound feasible?, what with parking , etc.

Also, would like to do some military tours but don't want to make this the only thing.

Would appreciate any advice as to other things to do in this area

Thanks much for your advice

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,283 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need advice for vacation trip

In Norfolk, we liked:

Nauticus

General Douglas MacArthur Memorial

Naval Station Tour

Chrysler Art Museum

Closed while we were there, but sounded interesting to us:

Hermitage Museum & Gardens

Hunter House

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need advice for vacation trip

For me it makes more sense to stay in Virginia Beach because (1) there are more hotel options, (2) you can walk to restaurants and shops, (3) you won't have to pay for parking and then schlep all your beach gear from the parking lot to whatever empty spot you can find, (4) there is free entertainment nightly. Convenience!

ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need advice for vacation trip

sandbridge beach

York, Pennsylvania
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: need advice for vacation trip

Thanks much for the quality advice.

York, Pennsylvania
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: need advice for vacation trip

Have been looking for a hotel/motel in the Virginia Beach area for a rental in early June, 2013. It is very dismaying to find that almost all motels want to charge full prices against your credit card at time of making the reservation, and that many do not allow any cancellations.

When did this practice start? I thought that the economy was not good and that these places would be going out of their way to compete.

I don't plan to cancel but one never knows.

It is sad when you have to choose a motel based on their cancellation policy.

Anybody have any good ideas short of finding a motel when I arrive in Virginia Beach.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need advice for vacation trip

GandB, you might want to ask this question as a separate post rather than tagging onto a discussion about Norfolk. Yours is a different issue.

7. Re: need advice for vacation trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 18, 2014