We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking near bus station

Grundy Center, Iowa
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
walking near bus station

Will be coming into Norfolk at night on Greyhound. Is the Crown Plaza close enough to walk to safely?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking near bus station

The Crowne Plaza is across Monticello Ave from the bus station; the hotel lobby entrance is about 1 short block and the street is well lit. The area is on the border of prime downtown and can be a bit dicey. During the daylight hours, I would say no problem with safety. Because I am familiar with the area, I would not hesitate to walk but would probably feel uncomfortable in a similar nighttime situation in an unfamiliar town especially if carrying several pieces of luggage. I would not want my daughter walking it at night.

Hope this information helps.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking near bus station

I was getting ready to say the same thing. It seems ridiculous to pay for a taxi to go one block, so if you choose to walk, stay on the main road under the lights - don't take any short cuts.

Grundy Center, Iowa
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: walking near bus station

thank you both. That's what I suspected. Guess I'll just have to walk fast. Wonder if the hotel might send a valet out to the entrance.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking near bus station

Maybe this description of the location will help...................

The bus station is at the corner of Monticello Ave & Brambleton Ave (when you exit the bus station, be sure to exit on Monticello Ave not Granby St which is parallel to Monticello). The Crowne Plaza is located on a triangular lot (when the hotel was opened in the '60's the original name was The Golden Triangle) bordered by Monticello Ave, Onley Rd, St Paul's Blvd and Brambleton Ave. The rear of the hotel is at Monticello and Brambleton, and is not accessible due to a fence. You will cross Monticello to the hotel side of the street then turn left & walk a very short distance to the elevated entrance at the front of the hotel.

Here is a google link that shows the area, if link doesn't work just use street names to get a view..........................

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=monticello+ave+and+brambleton+ave+norfolk+va&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.735377,67.412109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=W+Brambleton+Ave+%26+Monticello+Ave,+Norfolk,+Virginia+23510&ll=36.85551,-76.287539&spn=0.004661,0.008229&t=h&z=17

May the force be with you.

Grundy Center, Iowa
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: walking near bus station

Thank you. The force will serve us well.

6. Re: walking near bus station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 20, 2010