We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the Virginia Zoo??

North Carolina
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How is the Virginia Zoo??

Me, my hubby and our 13 & 16yr old girls are going to be in Norfolk soon. Wondering if the Virginia Zoo is a good attraction for us to visit.

Anyone been there? how was it?

Do you have a suggestion on a different sightsee that might be more enjoyable?

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the Virginia Zoo??

VERY small - trying hard, always improving exhibits, but people who know the SanDiego Zoo or Washington Zoo often find Norfolk's little zoo laughable. But it's a nice little afternoon if you don't have really high expectations.

If you want to spend time in Norfolk, you might consider touring the Battleship Wisconsin moored at Nauticus. The ship is free. The Nauticus is a maritime museum with everything related to the sea - geography, naval history, weather, sea life. Lots of variety. The Chrysler Museum is worthwhile -- good art exhibits and some changing exhibits. You can check the website to see what's going on.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the Virginia Zoo??

The other thing to remember is that it can get hot and humid in Norfolk in the summer - you sweat and the animals aren't moving. For a small zoo, the Virginia Zoo does a nice job and for under $10 it makes for a nice half day trip. I remember seeing somewhere that if you are a member of any of the NC aquariums then you can get in free. It's worth checking out to see if that is accurate or not.

If your kids want to see animals and you have access to a car I suggest the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Museum in Virginia Beach. I also like Nauticus in Norfolk but find it a bit expensive for what is actually there.

3. Re: How is the Virginia Zoo??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, September 03, 2009