We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quarteira Gypsy Market update

Cheshire
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Quarteira Gypsy Market update

Since the reviews of the Quarteira Gypsy Market were posted in 2009 on this forum it is perhaps worth noting that the market was moved to a new site on the outskirts of town in 2010. It is now in an enclosed area with metal fencing. A GNR officer is at the gate to keep unauthorised traders out, and the ground is properly surfaced, so muddy shoes are a thing of the past. The food outlets are all together in the centre and hygeine has been improved. The term gypsy market is used mainly as a tourist gimmick. There are, of course, plenty of gipsy traders, but you can find many non-gipsy stalls selling household goods, electrical items, watches, mobile phones, jewellery, etc., as well as African traders selling their own traditional gifts. Genuine traders complained about the dodgy dealers giving the market a bad name (as indicated by those posts on here in 2009) and the council has tried to eliminate the problem. Although you can still be nudged by a bloke with a an armful of watces for sale up his sleeve. As people have said - check the goods before you buy - you don't have to go to markets to fall foul of the cheap cigs scam. Walk down any street in any resort and you will occasionally come across one of these con merchants.

I would recommend a trip to this market. It's lively, full of atmosphere and there are bargains to be had if you shop around and do a bit of haggling. Surely that's what markets are supposed to be like.

Edited: 11:20 am, April 16, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Quarteira Gypsy Market
Quarteira Gypsy Market
112 Reviews
Quarteira, Portugal
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,189 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Quarteira Gypsy Market update

Not that sure about the prices but the markets seem to be a lot of fun for many people.

The Chinese shops (so many around) seem to beat the markets more and more!

12. Re: Quarteira Gypsy Market update

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:44 am, February 23, 2013
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Quarteira Gypsy Market update

I would recommend that people never buy electrical or electronic goods from a gypsy market.

Otherwise I'm afraid to say that the same caution should be exercised:

algarveresident.com/46559-0/algarve/asae-vis…

Cheshire
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Quarteira Gypsy Market update

Obviously the purchase of electronic goods at markets in foreign countries does require some caution - it depends on what you are buying. The vast majority of stuff on the stalls is made in China, just like the stuff you can buy at a UK market stall. As an example, I brought two plug adaptors in the UK and I needed an extra one whilst in the Algarve. I bought it from Qaurteira market and guess what - it is identical to the UK bought ones. All three made in China. As for counterfeit goods - this is a global problem and plenty of UK market traders have been convicted of the same offence. It's all a matter of common sense. I would never buy such items as hair straighteners, hair dryers, electric tooth brushes and the like, as fake ones of these could have dire consequences. Toys for the kids also have to be examined carefully as the rules regarding toys with bits and pieces that kids could swallow are not as stringent as in the UK.

Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Quarteira Gypsy Market update

Sorry but I must beg to differ.

"I bought it from Qaurteira market and guess what - it is identical to the UK bought ones. "

That's the whole point of counterfeits. They're meant to kook exactly like the originals.

"Obviously the purchase of electronic goods at markets in foreign countries does require some caution - it depends on what you are buying."

Plug adapters plug into the mains, which makes counterfeit versions as dangerous as any other electrical appliance.

Edited: 10:34 am, February 23, 2013
16. Re: Quarteira Gypsy Market update

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 25, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Quarteira