We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montefioralle in Chianti

Which Greve in Chianti hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Montefioralle in Chianti

Has anyone stayed in this small village near Greve? Is it preferable to have a car or could we walk to another couple of villages as well as Greve? Thank from Jen in Australia

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montefioralle in Chianti

You'll need to have a car to get around the area.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montefioralle in Chianti

The only other village you could walk to is Panzano and that would be a long walk - 45 minutes to an hour depending on how fit you are and how hot the day is. From Greve to Montefioralle is easy - 20 minutes up and 15 minutes down. There are buses to Panzano, Lamole and Radda from Greve but they are infrequent.

With a car, scooter or bike, Montefioralle is a great base for exploring the area.

Melbourne Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Montefioralle in Chianti

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, it is very helpful for our stay in Chianti. This was my first Trip Advisor Post and I am most impressed! Thanks again..Jen Jd

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montefioralle in Chianti

We stayed in an apartment in Montefioralle in October last year and it is a lovely little village. I think you need a car. Yes, you can walk from Greve up to Montefioralle but I would not want to have to do it at the end of each day of sightseeing. The novelty would soon wear off for me! We found it a good base for a week. We caught the Sita bus from Greve to Florence one day. We also visited Sienna, San Gimignano, all the villages around and other things. It is a lovely area.

Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montefioralle in Chianti

Keep in mind that when they say "20 minutes up", it's up... and up... and UP! Once might have some charm (which escapes me) but that would be about it.

Montefioralle is lovely - but not without a car.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montefioralle in Chianti

The walk up to Montefioralle from Greve is especially pleasant after dark (if only because it's cool). In June there are fireflies everywhere, at other times nightingales (heard but not seen), wild boar and porcupines are quite frequently to be seen - the former standing craftily still in the vineyards and among the olives, the latter rushing about madly especially in the light of car headlamps. There are two species of owl that can be seen with a bit of effort - the smaller and more common civetto sits in the cypresses but can be spotted easily when it calls, the much larger gufo for some reason loves the tops of telegraph poles and is clearly visible. During the day, have a good look at some of the olive trees to the right going up. There are a few there that have escaped being killed off by the big freezes that take place here every 25 years or so, so that you can see just how enormously thick the trunk of an olive tree can become in the course of a hundred years. Last time I walked up by day, I had the chance to see grape vine shoots being grafted onto the root stock. Seems they graft two and only the stronger one survives - a new fact! If you pay attention, there's a lot to be enjoyed on that walk. http://www.montefioralle.info/

Edited: 12:14 pm, May 19, 2011
Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montefioralle in Chianti

By the way, if anyone is in the area, there is a small wine festival at Montefioralle now - 21 and 22 May 2011. A small number (8-10) of stands will be offering local wines to taste and buy. Some of them are extemely good and the prices are low for what you get. "I Vini nel Castello".

Seattle WA
Level Contributor
20 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montefioralle in Chianti

Last September, the favorite day of our trip was a day trip to Greve in Chianti and the walk up to Montefioralle. You can zip up the road in a car but you can walk and see the grapes and the olives and the beautiful hills of Tuscany. However you travel, don't miss it!

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Montefioralle in Chianti

HULLO..I am in Melbourne and am trying to book a few days in an apartment in the walls of Montefioralle which I saw last year. I just cannot find any accomm other than large farmhouses in the area and I would really love to stay in the hilltop town. Can you help with the name of the apartment you rented.

Thanks so much...Jenjd

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Montefioralle in Chianti

Hullo...last year I booked a small apartment in the walls of Montefioralle. As I fell and broke my leg in Rome I was unable to continue my trip and didnt get to this hill town. I now cannot find local accommodation and wonder if you can advise me the name of the flat you rented.

I would so appreciate it.. Thanks..Jenjd