We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski lifts for pedestrians

britnix
Level Contributor
67 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Ski lifts for pedestrians

Hi, I'm a first time snow tourist and will be travelling to Arabba with a skier. Very prepared for 'non ski' activity resort but was wondering if pedestrians are allowed on ski lifts? If so, can they be used to go down the mountains also? Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,037 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski lifts for pedestrians

Pedestrians obviously can use the Gondolas/Cable cars but chairlifts are another issue.

Often a lift ticket for pedestrians is only 1 journey up and 1 down.

Can't say specifically to Arabba but generally pedestrians on chairlifts in WInter are often not permitted at all. May be permitted but restricted to a couple of services.

If the resort has some high alpine walking tracks (cleared) then they may allow certain lifts to be used by pedestrians.

Where pedestrians are allowed to use chairlifts then it is both for ascent and descent.

You will have to enquire locally.

Chairlifts have control stations top and bottom so where pedestrians are allowed the operator will obviously slow the chair down. The operator will also call ahead to the top station to inform the operator at the top so they can slow down the lift.

Vice versa for descent.

Edited: 6:41 am, January 16, 2013
britnix
Level Contributor
67 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski lifts for pedestrians

Thank you for this information :-) I will get in touch with the tourist information for Arabba.

Carnforth, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski lifts for pedestrians

Hi Same scenario for me this season. just wondering how you found Arraba for non skiers and also the accessibility of the ski lifts? Would love to hike, snowshoe x country even. Did you find any of these activities I wonder? Thanks

britnix
Level Contributor
67 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski lifts for pedestrians

Hi Gina M, I had a really fabulous holiday! I had ski lessons for most of the week, although only for a couple of hours each day and the rest of the time, I spent having a Bombadino at lunch time people watching and ski people watching :-) I went up the main gondala a few times and the view up there was amazing. I didn't go on any chair lifts, but felt I didn't need to. It's the first time for me ever in a ski scenario and I want more! A very good way of testing before a fully fledged ski holiday. Arabba was lovely, no lager louts...A few tasty restaurants and many friends made. We had a sauna in our accommodation and the room was very warm. I would definately recommend :-)

Carnforth, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski lifts for pedestrians

Thankyou for taking the time to reply. Sounds great.

Reply to: Ski lifts for pedestrians
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Arabba