We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Ischia in late March

Which Ischia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hanalei
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Ischia in late March

Hello,

My husband and I will be heading to Ischia in late March, 2013. We are retired (OLD) and are looking for picturesque, easy walking into town, spa access. We love to walk to restaurants and to see the sites. We plan on taking the ferry from Naples and stay on Ischia for 3 or 4 nights.

Suggestions???

Thanks,

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Ischia in late March

Check out the reviews on Hotel Villa Sirena CasamicciolaTerme on Ischia. We are the same (old) age group and had a lovely time here in May this year, we stayed 5 nights and it was so relaxing. While it is not within walking distance to town or restaurants, the owners run a shuttle into town,to sights and gardens and pick you up when you are ready to return to the hotel.There is a bus stop right at the hotel.The thermal spa in the basement was our favorite spot and the meals included with half board were incredible, Way too much food but really hard to say no. We loved it and will return.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Ischia in late March

A lot of the hotels close for the winter so your options may be restricted. Although I have visited Ischia regularly for many years, I have only stayed there between May and October so unfortunately I don't know which hotels remain open all year round. I would suggest you search availability online and, once you know what hotels are open in March, repost your question based on hotel availability.

Hanalei
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Ischia in late March

Thanks for the suggestions. I was worried about things being closed….and have found that to be true of some of the searches I have done. What I'm wondering is what part of the island would be best for that time of the year> Late March

Thanks,

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Ischia in late March

Although this link is from February 2012, Peter (the DE for Ischia) includes plenty of links to help with your research.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g580214-i10609-k51…

The island really isn't that large and the bus service is quite efficient. In late September of 2011, I spent a week in Ischia Ponte, it's a 10 minute bus ride from Ischia Porto (where the hydrofoils/ferries arrive & depart).

Some of these links are included in Peter's posts:

www.onischia.com

www.ischianews.com

www.ischiaonline.com

Have a wonderful time in (yet another) beautiful part of Italy.

Ischia, Italy
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Ischia in late March

Hi Barbara,

As someone who lives on the island I'll be very happy to give you various recommendations on places to stay and visit.

Having read your requirements the first place that springs to mind is Sant'Angelo. It's a small but very picturesque fishing village with enough shops and restaurants to make it interesting without being too touristy. You've also got some great beaches around there and although you probably won't be laying on said beaches during March, the walks to and from are fabulous with some wonderful scenery.

For example, from the centre of Sant'Angelo you can walk to Le Fumarole beach which is around 15-20 minutes away. Le Fumarole beach is interesting because it has jets of hot steam rising up through the sand. You'll sometimes see people placing containers of food beneath the sand during a picnic and then an hour or so later dig up the containers with a hot meal prepared!

On the same walk to Le Fumarole you'll pass Aphrodite Thermal Gardens which is the best thermal spa in Sant'Angelo, (if not the best on the island I might add, I would award that accolade to Poseidon, Negombo or even Castiglione). You can also extend your walking distance still further by going from Sant'Angelo to Maronti beach. That extension of the walk is across some cliff-tops with some great, rugged scenery along the way and the spectacle of Maronti at the end of it.

You've also got Cava Grado beach in Sant'Angelo so there's quite a lot to see and do there, despite its size. I could talk for hours about your various choices of accommodation on the island (and no doubt bore you in the process!) so I won't go on too much but another option would be Citara Bay in Forio. It's got a lovely beach and you can walk to Forio twon centre which is about half an hour away and you pass by Cava dell'Isola along the way.

At the end of March you might just be a little bit too early in the season for the main thermal parks such as those listed above but you can get your fix of thermal water all year round at Sorgeto which is Panza, between Forio and Sant'Angelo. The only caveat with Sorgeto being that if the sea is rough the cold water can splash you while you're sitting in the nice, warm stuff!

Anyway, drop me a line if you need any more info and I'll be glad to help.

By the way, in addition to the links posted above you should also look at www.ischiareview.com which is very comprehensive and written in English.

All the best

II

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Ischia in late March

Sant' Angelo area is picturesque and has the flavor of an old fishing village, if that's what you want. We stayed on Ischia for 3 days in May, 2008. We stayed in Ischia Ponte because it was easy to walk to shops and restaurants and the main bus station in Ischia Porto. Google map of Ischia Ponte below

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

We took the bus on Ischia all over (Museum Vila arbusto, Botanical Gardens, etc.)

Bus route to Lacco Ameno marked in red

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Check avaialbiity of lodging at Venere.com for ischia in the off-season. That's how we booked our stay at Hotel Europa in Ischia Ponte.

All over Ischia Ponte you can see the lovely castle

Hanalei
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Ischia in late March

Hi. Thank you for all your help. I think we've decided that its best for us to stay in town of ischia Ponte ? We are interested in hotel, vacation rental, apartment. I'm having trouble and getting really confused trying to find something. We would like a view of water/port. But don't want o have to walk up hills. Any suggestions. Our dates are march 30 and check out April 3

Thanks!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Ischia in late March

This map shows Ischia Topography by colors

in the area around the coast, it's relatively level

Stree outside our hotel in Ischia Ponte

Street in ischia Ponte. The castle is elevated from the street level

View from the castle to get an idea of elevations on the main par

9. Re: Where to stay in Ischia in late March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 05, 2014