We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Ischia

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
84 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Ischia

First time traveller to Ischia, and have found much of the advice on this forum very helpful regarding the travel to and from the island and Naples airport. But my question is a timing one (and maybe a restaurant recommendation).

We land in Naples airport at 11.45. It seems a small airport and I am hoping that baggage reclaim won't take too long meaning we can be in a bus or taxi to arrive in Beverello by about 12.45. All this assumes the flight lands on time of course. With good fortune we can catch the 12.55 or 13.10 hydrofoils to Ischia. Is my timing realistic? Or am I fooling myself?

The next hydrofoil is not until 14.35. I don't mind waiting at all if we have missed the other boats and in fact it might be nice to have lunch near the port if anyone has any restaurant recommendations?

Thanks a million.

L

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Ischia

Depends a little on quite when this will be?

We're usually at the quay within an hour or so of landing - taking a taxi at around €20 if there's a hydrofoil to be caught or missed, otherwise the Alibus, for just €3 each.

Can't say I'd ever considered the gap to be long enough to drag ourselves and baggage to a restaurant,

There's also a Medmar ferry to Porto, which sets off at 14:10 daily - from the nearby Porta di Massa quay...

http://www.medmargroup.it/

Try this for their relative locations:

unicocampania.it/files/mappe/zona_centro.pdf

Slower, but cheaper - with nice outside areas offering good sunbathing and photo-ops. Can't promise, but sometimes have a place selling snacks and a bar... although that 14:35 hydrofoil is sure to roar past at some point!

If you've only a short wait at either place, there are a couple of OK bar/cafés at Beverello, and also one at the Porta di Massa.

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
84 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Ischia

Thank you for the reply.

This will be the end of next week. Friday 14th to be precise.

You reckon getting to the Quayside within an hour of landing and that is what I had guessed.

I think the question is really answered by when we get out of baggage reclaim. We will probably need to be at quayside by 13.00 to make the 13.10 hydrofoil. Taxi is usually 20 minutes or so so if later than 12.40 don't bother with taxi and just get the next bus and wait for the 14.35 hydrofoil. We would still possibly have an hour to kill in the port though. If we are out of baggage reclaim before 12.40 then we should catch the 13.10 at a minimum.

Part of me quite likes the idea of the ferry taking longer to get to the island than the hydrofoil and the relax and take pictures opportunities etc. But the other part knows I will have been up since 05.30 and will want to get to our hotel asap

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Ischia

Thanks - just checking for the date, since things change as the season progresses... particularly around the time that schools here close.. June 8th !

For instance, the current Alilauro schedules run until Friday June 14th - your day of travel....

http://www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe

.. after when those for high summer will kick in - usually with a few extra crossings.

So I'd say: taxi, only if it means catching a definite connection... otherwise Alibus, but do check the big display screen on arrival at Beverello (at the end of the run of ticket offices) to see which line has the next departure....just in case any extras have snuck in already?

Oh, and it's not unknown for people to have a little snooze on the ferry - or indeed on some of the larger hydrofoils.... but take care not to wake up in a rush, and get off at Procida in error!

We've often had that same dilemma in coming from Naples... hang around longer, but then get here a little sooner - or set off earlier, yet arrive later; however, in this case, I'd guess at the arrivals being only some 15 mins apart... with it taking 55 mins to an hour from the hydrofoil's scheduled departure to being ashore on Ischia - vs 80/90 by ferry.

The cost, though, may decide it?

For two, with Alilauro, €35.20 plus €2 per suitcase... or €23 on the Medmar...

Peter

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
84 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Ischia

Thanks Peter

I had worked out from your informative replies to others that 14/6 was the last day of the present schedule. The new Aliauro schedule is already up on its website and there are no extra ferries around the time of day we will be travelling.

So we do have that dilemma of shorter journey but later departure and longer journey but leave first and maybe enjoy the trip more. If we are in time for the hydrofoil that will decide things for us. However if we miss them I suspect we will just discuss and see how we feel when we get to the port.

With what this holiday is costing fortunately for us the difference in the two prices is not really going to be a big issue. Although curious on one thing. We will have one checked bag on the plane between us but will each be taking a carry on wheelie bag. Will these be counted as luggage and charged €2.00 x 3 on the hydrofoil or just €2.00 for the one suitcase?

Never been to this part of Italy before. Really looking forward to it already.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Ischia

It's usually only full-size suitcases that are charged - but show your luggage when buying your tickets, and they'll tell you how many need to be paid for... much better than being sent back from the boarding queue to do it, as can happen!

If you've not found it already, do have a look at the island's visitor magazine.... sold in printed form here for about €150, or use the topmost "Download" button on this page for a PDF version - with June's now available:

ischianews.com/it/…2.html

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Ischia

One other thing worth noting.... have a look at today's posts in this thread, for some further rearrangements re the Alibus stop at the airport:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k65…

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to Ischia

Ooops... re "sold in printed form here for about €150"....

That would buy you perhaps 100 copies - with the price for one more like €1.50.... duuh!

P

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
84 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to Ischia

Thanks a million

9. Re: Airport to Ischia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 08, 2014