We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anacapri or Ischia

Which Ischia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
254 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Anacapri or Ischia

I have a week in early July and I was thinking of going either to Anacapri or Ischia. I spent time in Anacapri in the 60s, but wonder if it's a lot different now. It was pretty sleepy back then even in August. My daughter suggests Ischia. Still, I have very fond memories of Capri. Do knowledgeable members have any comments?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anacapri or Ischia

Your daughter has impeccable taste!

It's easy to do a day trip over to Capri from here, if the longing gets too much...

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anacapri or Ischia

OK, that probably wasn't enough to convince you?

Try having a look through the island's visitor magazine from July last year - mostly bilingual...

ischianews.com/images/phocadownload/Magazine…

... and some stuff of mine, which starts from:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

... with photos from various Julys here:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/recjul

Peter

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
254 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anacapri or Ischia

Thank you Peter,

My daughter is an archaeologist. Her specialty is the Mediterranean. She says that the first Italian Greek colony was in Ischia, around 800 BC.

So if I have a few days, can you suggest a place to stay? My wife and I are in our 60s, would like a pleasant place maybe around 200 euros or less, walking distance or easy to get to major sites. Like history and culture, not too interested in nightlife.

Not sure about day trip to Capri; did that about 10 years ago. I remember from the 60s that the place became special after all of the day boats had left, but 2013 is not 1966, by a long shot.

Again thanks,

Alex

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anacapri or Ischia

September 2012, I stayed at Hotel Europa at Ischia Ponte, wonderful hosts and location. www.hoteleuropa.it

There's a bus stop steps from the entrance and the Castello Aragonese is about a 10 minute walk. http://www.castellodischia.it/index_en.html

I visited the Museo Archeologigo di Pithecusae. Its located on the site of the ancient settlement and acropolis of ithecusae, the highlight was Nestor's Cup and the views were awesome. There were only 3 other visitors, what a shame.

I also enjoyed a delightful day trip to Procida and visited San Michele Arcangelo, originally built in the 11th century.

My hosts arranged for a driver to take me around the island. Beautiful. One day I took the bus to the gardens at La Mortella and views were wonderful. www.lamortella.it

www.onischia.com

www.ischiaonline.com

There are numerous spa resorts, I can't help with any of those because my visit was for the history and culture too. I spent most of my afternoons on the rooftop sun terrance at the hotel (awesome views again).

Have a wonderful visit.

Edited: 5:02 pm, April 06, 2013
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anacapri or Ischia

Your daughter's right - although many of the settlers appear to have moved on, to found the mainland town of Cumae (famous eventually for its Sybil) fairly soon afterwards.

Although facing out onto Ischia, it's quite an excursion to visit there..... but well worth the effort:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/cumae

For a look at the Pithecusae collection, and the Villa Arbusto where it's housed..

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/lacco_arb

And nearby, down in the main piazza in Lacco Ameno itself, there's an interesting archaeological area - under the pretty pink church dedicated to Santa Restituta....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/lacccom

Re that:

ischia.info/en/art-and-culture/ischia-island…

We've found that the opening times and days can be somewhat erratic - so perhaps don't rely on what's shown here:

hotel-ischia.it/museo_scavi_santa_restituta_…

... and instead get your hotel to ring the phone number they give ( 081 980538 ) ?

Peter

PS - for a range of accommodation choices in the Ischia Ponte area, you might read through the list I posted in reply #8 to this:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k62…

Plenty of others if none's quite right!

Ischia, Italy
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Anacapri or Ischia

Hi Alex,

If you're interested in the history of Ischia you can find an article called "A History of Ischia" here:

www.ischiareview.com/a-history-of-ischia.html

and on the same site you'll find lots of other useful info such as ferry and hydrofoil timetables etc.

I hope you decide on Ischia because you really won't regret it.

Have a great time wherever you choose to go.

Kind regards

Dion

County Durham...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anacapri or Ischia

Hi Dion

Great link, the history of Ischia will keep me busy for ages. Fabulous pictures, movie clips and very interesting reading. We love Ischia and are going back soon. I must have typed "Ischia" into search engines a dozen times and never came up with this website.

Eddie

Edited: 2:22 pm, May 05, 2013
8. Re: Anacapri or Ischia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 07, 2014