We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Restaurants on Ischia?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Good Restaurants on Ischia?

Hi,

Can anyone let me know of some good dining options on Ischia? Unfortunately, I do not speak Italian so I can't read any reviews online in Italian. I found some advice in English on ChowHound forums. A few that I found were:

Un Attimo Divino (Ischia Porto)

Ristorante Alberto (Ischia Porto)

Il Melograno (Forio)

Trattoria Da Peppina di Renato (Forio)

Also, can anyone tell me the address of Bar Calise? I have seen two different locations listed on various websites.

Thanks!

Edited: 12:44 pm, June 05, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Isola d'Ischia
Isola d'Ischia
Province of Naples, Italy
Ischia Porto
Ischia Porto
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Ristorante Alberto
Ristorante Alberto
443 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Forio
Forio
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Trattoria Da Peppina
Trattoria Da Peppina
440 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Bar Calise
Bar Calise
722 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Restaurants on Ischia?

There are a few Bar Calises in Ischia. The biggest one is in Piazza degli Eroi. I have eaten at Ristorante Alberto... it is nice but expensive and maybe not the best value. I'm not sure where you are staying, but try Zi nannina a Mare in Ischia Porto or Coco Gelo at Ischia ponte for dinner. For pizza and seafood there are lots of restaurants on the Riva Destra. At lunchtime there are lots of restaurants p. the beaches to choose from. Seafood and fish is super fresh in Ischia so if you like that you'll have some great meals! Enjoy your trip

Mentioned in this post
Isola d'Ischia
Isola d'Ischia
Ristorante Alberto
Ristorante Alberto
443 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Ischia Porto
Ischia Porto
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Restaurants on Ischia?

Thanks so much. I am staying in Ischia Porto, but willing to get out to a different spot on the island for a couple of meals. Appreciate the feedback!

And I love seafood!

Edited: 1:14 pm, June 05, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Ischia Porto
Ischia Porto
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Restaurants on Ischia?

I'm no gourmet

Sole Mio Srl in Ischa Pontre

Great place. We ate here almost every night

great view of the castle.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Via Spiaggia Dei Pescatori, 37

80077 Ischia (NA), Italy

081 981986

red fire on google map

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

food from there

Mentioned in this post
Spiaggia Dei Pescatori
Spiaggia Dei Pescatori
65 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Isola d'Ischia
Isola d'Ischia
Italy
Italy
Europe
Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Restaurants on Ischia?

Anywhere in Casamicciola Terme?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Restaurants on Ischia?

Thanks lupaling!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Restaurants on Ischia?

You'll find a few of our favourites - mostly on the Ischia Porto / Ponte side of the island - here:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/restaur

... but since we live amongst the proprietors I'll have to send you the slaggings-off in a private message!

With a mostly Italian clientèle, bad places don't last long and it takes some doing to find an awful meal - although at peak times of the evening, and of the season, the waits between courses can get pretty tiresome... more so still if the nice outdoor table you chose turns out to be a bit draughty!

However, if unaware of what costs what, it's easy to spend more than you'd intended - most especially when selecting from the displays outside restaurants along Porto's Riva Destra... but, for a blowout, the best selection there can usually be found at Gennaro's - a dear friend, and true Ischian stalwart...

http://www.ristorantegennaro.it/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187784-…

Large fish (priced, as are some cuts of meat, by the landed kilo - note!) and seasonal delicacies like wild mushrooms are particularly expensive... don't hesitate to ask, and get them weighed and priced if necessary.

As an example, whilst the excellent Sole Mio here is great for everything from takeaway snacks upwards, this monster - insisted on by our visiting friend - added 100/120 Euro to the bill for the three of us...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/134821569

If there, you might like to try one of their risottos - the prawn and asparagus perhaps? Those are not often to be found here, and very nearly as good as I get at home! The local style is more like rice in soup, rather than creamy.

And it's probably worth mentioning that while some places have mostly traditional dishes on the menu, others are more likely to be described with phrases such as "offering a new take on" - you'll soon spot what I mean!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

For pizza, the local AVPN members are on this list....

www.pizzanapoletana.org/showreg_eng.php…

Gaetano's is especially well thought of - and no doubt listed by the Chows...

http://www.pizzadagaetano.it/

... however it could be like counting angels on pinheads - with all the decent places at a standard where differences are undetectable by most of us?

We usually prefer to choose for the location as well - Pirozzi here at Ponte (even more so in the months when they can have tables outdoors, from about 9PM onwards), Sole Mio on warm evenings, Pantera Rosa if at Porto..... although we've yet to try those at a newish place here - Scuiè Scuiè, already a firm favourite wih our neighbours' kids:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/143575745

There they break all the warning rules - with plastic covered menus, gaudy special offer notices, set meals etc etc - but served us by far the best zuppa di cozze.... mussels in a light tomato soup with croutons... that we've had in almost 15 years of knowing the area.

One could drone on...

Peter

PS: As far as the various branches of Bar Calise go, the best two are those shown on their site as:

- calise a Ischia.... the largest, set in lovely gardens on the borders of Ponte and Porto, near the roundabout at 'Piazza degli Eroi'. They've also a popular night spot there - o'spasso - that often hosts the Jazz Festival events, and make all sorts of efforts to amuse....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/134859945

- calise a casamicciola... behind the fountain piazza, across from the town's port. Very handy for the news stand - get a paper and just sit...

(The one at Ischia Porto - to the right of the hydrofoil quay - had a slight setback this week, with part of the ceiling collapsing!)

See, but of course in Italian, the "Dove siamo" link at the end of this page for a map and addresses....

http://www.barcalise.com/home.htm

They've not listed Bar La Lucciola, near the bus stops at the harbour in Forio - which I'd always understood was also theirs... but I could well be wrong about that?

Mentioned in this post
Ischia Porto
Ischia Porto
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Bar Calise
Bar Calise
722 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
Isola d'Ischia
Isola d'Ischia
Forio
Forio
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Restaurants on Ischia?

Great information from everyone. Thanks.

Sorry, one more question. I just noticed that Italy will be playing Spain in the Euros on June 10th. Anyone know of a good place on Ischia to catch the game that will have a festive atmosphere?

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
Isola d'Ischia
Isola d'Ischia
Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Restaurants on Ischia?

La Pantera Rosa at via Porto 53.

To watch the soccer match, have the dinner early and once out head to any bar for coffee or limoncello and you'll notice if there is the TV on. I guess it would be a rarity to find one bar with the TV switched off

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Restaurants on Ischia?

No definite individual place that I suggest - and during the 2006 World Cup people were mainly watching it at home!

Less of an occasion this time and I'm not sure whether RAI have coverage or only Sky, but many of the restaurants along the Riva Destra at Porto have TVs that are likely to be on - and the various bars.

Perhaps try Bar Epomeo, beside the small roundabout near there, at the start of Via Roma.

If they win, it's afterwards that you need to be out and about...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/106656594

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Restaurants on Ischia?

There'll probably be a big party and a big screen on at Ecstasy - it's right in the centre. We'll be in Ischia when Italy play Ireland and we are going there :)

Mentioned in this post
Isola d'Ischia
Isola d'Ischia
Italy
Italy
Europe
Ireland
Ireland
Europe