We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ischia 3rd wk October - Warm enough for thermal springs?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
596 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ischia 3rd wk October - Warm enough for thermal springs?

We will be in Ischia the 3rd week of October - will it still be possible to visit the thermal springs (still deciding which one to go to) or will it be too cold?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,980 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ischia 3rd wk October - Warm enough for thermal springs?

CruisinSusan, I've been to Sorrento the 1st week of October in a sundress and sandals, so I would assume (yes I know how to spell), it would be nice. I do recall 'pop up' rain storms tho.

Peter is your guy for the proper info. Its 6:17 pm here so it is after midnight there, early tomorrow you'll hear from him.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,039 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ischia 3rd wk October - Warm enough for thermal springs?

We went to the thermal springs at Negombo on Ischia in Feb 2007. the water is very warm

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ischia 3rd wk October - Warm enough for thermal springs?

Good morning from Ischia, where we've a lovely bright start to the day...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/recisch

The latest we've been to any of spas was a visit to our favourite of them all - Negombo - during the first week of October one year, but they all keep open until after then!

For example, in 2011, Castiglione finished on the 23rd, whilst Poseidon went thru' to the 31st - although Negombo chose to close its pools relatively early, on Sunday October 16th.

Give or take the seasonal thunderstorms (heavy rain but fairly short-lived), the weather is usually still plenty good enough to make your visit enjoyable.... these are from that month over our years here:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/recoct

But when it's windy and the sun's relatively low in the sky, you'd perhaps be wise to choose one situated on whichever side of the island is sheltered that day - since getting out wet from a pool at close on 40 degrees into a strong breeze isn't a whole lot of fun.... and you could easily be doing that 20 or more times in touring round the gardens!

For some photos from those we've been to....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/spagards

Nearer your visit, check for times and prices in the island's visitor magazine, available online as described here...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580214-i10609-k…

And perhaps also have a look at one or two from last summer/autumn, for lots of other useful stuff that's not probably included in their more recent winter editions?

Peter

PS: A note for those considering a truly off-season visit....

Whilst Negombo has sometimes continued through the winter, they don't always do so - and at present it seems only the treatment and wellness centres are open, with the pools having closed 3 months ago.

No sign of a 2012 opening date as yet; in 2011 they started on April 21st but Easter is earlier this year!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
596 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ischia 3rd wk October - Warm enough for thermal springs?

Thanks for your help - looks like I actually may be able to check out the thermal baths this October....glad to hear that.

Any preferences as to which baths I should choose if I have the choice (because one may be open and one may not)?

Also, no one in my group speaks any Italian (except for the requisite, hello, goodbye, please and thank you). Will we have problems getting around Ischia?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ischia 3rd wk October - Warm enough for thermal springs?

If it were us, we'd go where there are lots of different pools - the differences, and what they're meant to achieve, are explained in the Negombo leaflet...

negombo.it/pdf/negombo-filo-di-arianna-en.pdf

Of the several reasons why we prefer there, chief is that wearing a wretched swimcap isn't obligatory, as it is at perhaps all the others! Also, it's generally a lot less "complicated" than Posideon (our 2nd choice), as you may gather from this write-up by a member who'd visited from Sorrento:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g580210-d6…

Then, third, Castiglione.... which is particularly handy if staying in Ischia Porto and Ponte as it can be reached directly, on the number 15 bus.

After those, they get a bit smaller - but if you needed or wanted somewhere on the southern coast, at Sant'Angelo there's the Tropical...

http://www.parco-tropical.com/

For more about spas and thermalism both here and elsewhere in Campania, try this leaflet - a bit slow to download, but quite informative...

campaniadiqualita.com/eng/…guida_termale.pdf

Although German is the main tourist language here, many people also speak English - but may need a little coaxing (or proof that you've no Italian!), before revealing that they do so!

Not a lot of Americans (<4000) or Brits (<5000) stay here, and we sometimes get hailed by visitors just for a chat, however none seem to be struggling particularly.

For transport, do have a look at our island magazine - as mentioned previously - and also perhaps at some of the stuff I've collected here...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/beginisc

Lastly, here's an earlier thread that might steer you round a few of the possible pitfalls...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187780-i567-k47…

Hope that's a help!

Peter

Hants
Level Contributor
121 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ischia 3rd wk October - Warm enough for thermal springs?

Hi, we spent two weeks in Ischia two o years ago and are returning in June for another two weeks and cannot wait, we spoke no Italian on our first visit and managed fine - although we were the only British at our hotel and the staff not fluent it was fine with a bit of sign language and a dictionary. It is part of the attraction that Ischia is still really 'Italian' and not at all touristy!!. As for Negombo I have made hubby promise that we can go back twice on our next visit....

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ischia 3rd wk October - Warm enough for thermal springs?

What a nice post to find on a January morning, hope you'll have a great time!

And if you've not found it already, do have a look at the island magazine - most of which is reasonably bilingual - as mentioned in reply number 3 above...

Peter

Chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ischia 3rd wk October - Warm enough for thermal springs?

Cruisin Susan,

My wife and I own a home in Ischia that we rent out on Tripadvisor by the week. Last year, we went to visit during the first week of October and were pleasantly surprised by how warm it was. I was even able to swim at Spiaggia Pescatore when I wasn't busy cleaning and renovating various areas of the house!

Contrast that with a mid-November trip the year before and I can say that I will definitely be returning in early to mid October from here on out!

Regards,

David

9. Re: Ischia 3rd wk October - Warm enough for thermal springs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, January 21, 2013