We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casamicciola Terme

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Casamicciola Terme

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are staying in Casamicciola Terme shortly and whilst we are planning to visit different places on the island I wondered if anyone could make any recommendations for restaurants / bars / places to see in Casamicciola itself please?

Thanks

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casamicciola Terme

Hi again!

Just to get you started, you'll find my collection of photos from the island, including a small group from in and around Casamicciola, here...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

The upper part of town, where traditionally the whole thermal spa thing started is well worth a wander.

Ask nicely at the Terme Belliazzi - up in Piazza Bagni, the 'square of the baths' - and usually they'll let you in to see the ancient pools where the muds were stored so they could pick up minerals from the flowing waters of the thermal springs....

http://www.termebelliazzi.it/en/index.html

And it's nice if you continue upwards to the top part of town - to the Observatory and around - an area that all had to be reconstructed after the terrible late C19th earthquake....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/sentinella

In the way only Italians could, this year they're celebrating the bullet wound that brought national hero, Giuseppe Garibaldi, to the island. Not necessarily of great interest to other visitors - but see the pics of the Villa Zavota for the unusual story behind it all!

And the "La Rita" area - home to some of the first proper thermal centres - is also worth a look. The intro to island mentioned in the other post has details and maps for the buses, but do also see...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580214-i10609-k…

Perhaps more than anywhere else on the island, Casamicciola is a little short on restaurants and bars - but for many of the guests their hotels provide all such facilities they require. Friends who stayed there several times generally went to either Lacco Ameno or Ischia Porto in the evenings - and in a decade here we've perhaps only eaten in the town two or three times!

The obvious place to head for first though, and very much in the grand Italian tradition of uniformed waiters, perfect pastries, excellent icecreams, coffee, tea and cocktails, is 'Bar Calise' - in the centre of town, behind the fountain....

http://www.barcalise.com/home.htm

And, at the top end of the island's cuisine, the recently reconstructed Hotel Terme Manzi has a restaurant - the 'Mosaico' - whose chef, Nino Di Costanzo, has now been awarded a second Michelin star....

termemanzihotel.com/…en

....although our own tastes run a little simpler!

I have to admit to knowing few of those on this list....

ristoranti-ischia.it/ristoranti_casamicciola…

... and it's quite a surprise to see so many - but perhaps some are either in hotels, or up in the hill villages rather than down in the town itself, since the Comune of Casamicciola Terme covers quite an area....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/110236626

If you're into traditional food, prepared in traditional ways - and prepared for a bus or taxi ride - there's also 'Il Focolare' (that's capital I, capital L - the Italian definite pronoun - at the front), in the hamlet of Cretaio above the town...

The food, mostly meat and 'country' related, rather than the fish and seafood you'll mostly find down on the coast is quite exceptional - stuff you'll not find many others offering, and it's not particularly expensive.... depending of course on what you choose!

Might even be interesting enough that you'd do the bus ride (10 or 15 minutes on the little number 16 bus, from Piazza Marina on the seafront) in day time, just so you'll know where you're going! Up there, amongst the pinewoods and chestnut groves, it's also a rather nice contrast to the busy crowded coast - and there's a simple and easy walk through to Fiaiano, from where you can walk or take the number 6 bus back down to Ischia Porto...

Google for others, but there are some reviews here on TA:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

More here: www.lucianopignataro.com/articolo.php?pl=4059

The family are related to the one that runs the winery over in Forio, the "Casa D'Ambra"

http://www.dambravini.com/en/

Phew - that seems to have turned into a bit of an essay, but school's out now!

However I should of course have mentioned that along the front there are some nice stretches of beach, with bars and cafes, where you can spend a perfectly lovely day.... doing none of the various things mentioned above - and instead simply relax with a sunbathe, swim and snooze!

Peter

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Casamicciola Terme

Peter,

Thank you so much for spending the time you must have done with that reply. I'm guessing that that will be invaluable. I'm now even more excited about coming to Ischia!

Thanks again

Antonia

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casamicciola Terme

We have two favourite eating places in Casamicciola. Ginos beach bar does lovely salads, bruschetta etc. It is open all day, quietens down as people leave the beach and then livens up again in the evenings. Zelluso's serves really great pasta and pizza and seems very popular with locals and visitors alike. It is situated just off the pedestrian area up the alley next to the fountain, a little difficult to find but definitely worth it and good value too. There are several other restaurants on the pedestrian area which look good but we have not yet tried them, we shall be back in two weeks - so looking forward to being on Ischia again

4. Re: Casamicciola Terme

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, October 19, 2012