We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking trails on Ischia

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Walking trails on Ischia

I will probably be traveling to Ischia week after next for a day. Can you recommend a walk (no more than about 8 km total) that would offer striking views of the coast and the sea? I am in fairly good shape and can handle steep trails. Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking trails on Ischia

A follow-up question: If possible, could you suggest a walk that begins and ends near what we in the US would call a hot spring — that is, a geothermally heated spring? It's okay if the spring is developed as a spa. My traveling partner is less keen on walking than I am, so he could soak while I walk, and I might like to have a soak afterwards. Thanks!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking trails on Ischia

As you may have discovered, there's not very much available in English - mostly it's in Italian (including at least two books of walks on sale here), or German!

One I can offer is the "Lizard Paths" (a series of trails, marked with individually colour-coded signs, set up by the Comune of Barano within their territory), and I've posted copies of their leaflet's front and back, here......

pbase.com/isolaverde/image/123579788/original

and here:

pbase.com/isolaverde/image/123579786/original

Right-click on the image, and use "Save Image As..." to get a copy onto your PC, which should then print reasonably well. In theory they're all still passable, but it's several years ago now....

Possible alternatives...

There are several guides who offer walking tours - nothing to hand but I can probably find the details if you're especially interested?

I haven't seen a copy of this book, but it appears to have 4 walks here (bit of a coincidence, so possibly - but not necessarily - the same ones), as well as others elsewhere in the area...

cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/591/t…

Otherwise, do as we do. Take one of the buses (perhaps those on the round-island routes - the CS and CD) to somewhere that looks interesting and get off and see what you find. They're very frequent and.... but take a look here for more about using the buses, rather than me repeat it all....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/beginisc

Serrara Fontana is about as high as they go - from there you can either follow the signs up to the top of Monte Epomeo, or else walk down all the way to Sant'Angelo if you prefer...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/111012514

On a clear day in one direction you should see Capri, Sorrento, and through to the mountains about Santa Maria del Castelabate in one direction - and later, in the other, to the Pontine Islands and Gaeta on the mainland.

Peter

PS.... Just seen part 2 - will get back to you on that!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking trails on Ischia

There is a walking train to Mt Epomeo the "dormant" volcano on the island

www.ischiaonline.it/ischia.php…

journeyidea.com/mystery-islands-of-italy-par…

These caves look like they must be near the Maronti beach

Cava Scura

Traditional spa known since Roman times, with mineral waters that rise at a temperature of nearly 100 °, pierdi reachable along a path that starts from the village of San Angelo and by sea by boat taxi.

Cava Pallarito Cava Pallarito

One of the most exciting routes through one of the longest and most impressive caves on the island, up the road at Fontana beyond a small cave opens a wild narrow gorge winding.

translate.google.com/translate…

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking trails on Ischia

Seeing as how we've already raised the subject of Sant'Angelo, why not think about going to a spa there?

I found this, which may be of interest....

http://www.santangelodischia.info/cartina.pdf

That lists two, and although we've not visited either the Tropical may be the better choice - part of it can be seen in that photo of mine, over to the extreme righthand side.

Their site's here.... http://www.parco-tropical.com

I preferred to skip their "Download plugin" offer but still got to their rather outdated pages - the prices may be a little higher now!

There's an entrance just where the buses stop when they've got as close to the village as they're allowed... as this map shows:

http://www.parco-tropical.com/en/garden.htm

Handily, one of the popup pictures there even shows it...

www.parco-tropical.com/images/park/cassa2.JPG

You could maybe start off up at the top at Serrara Fontana, and partner could jump back on the bus after a while and go down there - while you walk down the rest of the way!

Otherwise, elsewhere on the island, these are the ones we know best....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/spagards

Not sure I could find an obvious walk near Negombo, although the La Mortella gardens (not that far away) are quite wonderful.... though you need to note their unusual pattern of opening days...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/mortella

Perhaps worth bearing in mind that few of them charge less than €25 for entry, so it might be a fairly pricey soak?

Just be sure you get back in time to catch your return sailing!

Peter

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking trails on Ischia

Peter,

Thank you for these excellent tips! This is going to be fun. Actually, the "Parco Tropical" spa in Sant' Angelo seems to offer admission for "only" €13 after 3 p.m. Since I am a Yank who has never experienced such a thing, I am happy to pay that just for the novelty. Thanks also for your tip about German hiking guides. So happens I understand German, so I've ordered through Amazon.de an inexpensive German hiking guide to be sent to my hotel in Rome while I am there before moving on to Campania. So I think I will spend the afternoon walking and soaking in and around Sant' Angelo.

The spa closes at 6 p.m. Is there a convenient way around that time from Sant' Angelo to Naples via public transportation? Where would I find ferry schedules?

Thanks again!

Mark O

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking trails on Ischia

From near Sant'Angelo the way back to Naples would be to take a bus (CD or number 1 - see previous link to bus info) to one of the ports...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/110236626

Probably easiest to stay onboard all the way to Ischia Porto, and catch a hydrofoil or ferry from there. Hydrofoils (c45 minutes) or ferries (c90 minutes, but cheaper and - on most of them - much better views) are plentiful. If you've arrived by one, perhaps take the other back?

The main operator's site is here, where the autumn schedule will eventually appear...

www.alilauro.it/index.php?lingua=english

For their current timetable, valid until 15 September....

www.alilauro.it/orari15Giu15Set2010.pdf

The island's two ferry operators are...

www.caremar.it

www.medmargroup.it/index1.php?sezione=Home

By the way, returning from Forio would have been simpler, but through until 15 September the last hydrofoil departures are at 16:30 all week and 18:30 on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays..... and after then, quite probably, earlier still!

Peter

PS - good thinking on the German thing!

7. Re: Walking trails on Ischia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 04, 2011