We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barrano, Forio, Lacco Ameno in one day?

Which Ischia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Barrano, Forio, Lacco Ameno in one day?

Hi everyone, I haven't seen too many discussions on specific areas of the island, so I was wondering if the above would be some of the more recommended areas to see, that'll include a mixture of villages, beaches/thermal spas and some monuments?

I plan to rent a scooter for the day, will there be a problem with parking in certain parts of the island? any particular signs I should watch for that indicate it's not permitted? Will the rental shops be open by 9am?

I went a few days but got a late start, and didn't get to see as much as I'd like to have. Want to make the most of it this time around, so any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barrano, Forio, Lacco Ameno in one day?

Dear letzdnc,

I think if you want a very full packed day, you could see Lacco Ameno, Forio, and Barrano in one day especially since you'll have your own scooter. If you want to see the museum/park in Lacco Ameno, I would park uphill at the upper entrance so that you could walk down instead of walking up had you parked at the lower entrance near Via Rizzoli.

There's a scooter rental place right across the street from the Forio Port and there are I believe a couple of places to the right (ocean at your back) at Ischia Porto. If you head to Forio from Napoli Molo Beverello, you could get a minor head start in seeing the area. Nevertheless, Lacco Ameno is maybe a 15-20 minute drive from Ischia Porto which has more ferry/hydrofoil connections to Napoli. I'm pretty sure the scooter places will open by 9am, and in general, you can look at any listing for Forio or Ischia on the following page for details:

www.ischiaonline.it/page.php…

I think Panza past Forio has a beach with thermal action at the shore which makes the ocean warm.

I remember Nolana outlined some great activities to explore on Ischia,however, I just found one such post:

tripadvisor.com/…2521664

This link in Italian has some small nice beach photos around Ischia:

http://www.ischiainpillole.it/spiagge.asp

Buona Fortuna...

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Barrano, Forio, Lacco Ameno in one day?

Buona Sera kkushiba1, your awesome! thank you for your response. Yes, I plan to spend the entire day at the island.

Your correct, there's a couple rental places as you get off Ischia Porto. I didn't bring my DL, so I just stopped in and asked about rates. So, I shouldn't be too concerned about parking?

grazie!

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barrano, Forio, Lacco Ameno in one day?

Dear letzdnc,

In Salerno, there's a scooter parking lot and when people park their scooters. In undesignated scooter parking places in standard car parking places, people risk getting their scooters scrunched up by cars who want to squeeze into a space. On Ischia, I'm not sure if the same scooter-designated parking areas must be used. You could look for very tightly drawn parallel lines on the ground along the street marked off for scooter parking. You could ask someone, "Il parcheggio per i motorini?" and maybe a local could tell you if you can park on the street.

Ischia unlike Napoli or even the Costiera Amalfitana might have more parking spaces on the street so you might luck out by parking right on the street. Hopefully, the scooter won't be stolen. Last year, a relative parked his scooter near a hospital in Vomero to see his newborn son. While he was gone, someone stole his scooter.

Buona Fortuna...

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Barrano, Forio, Lacco Ameno in one day?

ciao, ciao kkushiba1

Wow, I'm a bit late at respondin and thanking you. Just wanted to let you know, that day didn't start out too well. I arrived early (8:40), waited for the scooter rentals to open at 9am, but was turned down by all of'em since I never riden one, or had a license to operate one. I went to a travel agency next door to the tourist office (nobody spoke English), the woman was very helpful and suggested to just do an all day pass utilizing the bus service, just as I was getting ready to walk out, she told me the drivers were on strike! I had no other choice but to do a rental car--nobody had automatics available so I had to drive a stick--I got the hang of it after a couple minutes (hadn't driven one in about 4yrs!). I finally got on the road to explore around 11:30. I spent several hours at the thermal spas in St. Angelo (?) to rid some of my back pain, also stopped at Forio and I can't recall the other place (it's been a long work day). Hopefully, next year I will make another attempt, but on a scooter! (thinking of buying one with the crazy gas prices and maintenance cost on 3 different vechiles!)

thank you very much kkushiba1-- Take care & Happy Holidays cara!

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barrano, Forio, Lacco Ameno in one day?

Bentoranta letzdnc,

Thanks for you report on your trip to Ischia. That's something else that the bus drivers were on strike in September. I remember for around 36 hours at the end of June 2007 the Circumvesuviana Train service was halted. In any case, I'm glad that you were able to remaster manual transmission to enjoy your time on Ischia with a rental car. Definitely, gas prices on Ischia are brutally high as you've found, however, I hope you enjoyed driving around the other side of the island to Sant'Angelo, Forio, and maybe Lacco Ameno and Casamicciola too.

Did the scooter people turn you down primarily for the fact that you didn't have a US motorcycle license? I didn't realize that scooter rental places had such stringent restrictions. Well, when you return to the area, at least you now know what to expect so that you can rent a scooter and head straight for the road around Ischia.

Bentornata di nuovo...

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Barrano, Forio, Lacco Ameno in one day?

Buongiorno kkushiba1,

No, I'd say they wouldn't rent me one due to inexperience. I gave up trying after being turned down by the second rental place, figured it was a standard requirement.

According to a tourist I met, the movie "mister Ripley..." (don't recall the entire title but Matt Damon was in it?) was filmed at St. Angelo, I've only seen bits and pieces of it. I spent a couple hours at the thermal spa located up on the hill top of St. Angelo, I arrived around 3pm. Believe the woman at the counter felt bad for me when I told her about my morning, and that my primary reason there was to rid my back pain, (hurt it from SPEED walking/jogging down Mt. Vesuvio, so I wouldn't miss the van driver) she gave me a discount.

But driving around the island was a blast AND GORGEOUS! The following day I ended up coming down with the flu, the extreme cold, hot, going in and out of the sauna at the thermal spas is what did it. It was all worth it though. I went to a pharmacia in Napoli and got some medicine for the fever and body ache.

Man, I misssss Napoli! :(

take care....

7. Re: Barrano, Forio, Lacco Ameno in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 13, 2009