We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slow Food Festival

Which Forio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Slow Food Festival

Just read that this will be taking place this Sat night which will be my first night on Ischia. I'm staying at Gardini Ravino. How far away is this? Do I need to take a taxi to and from and how much would it cost? Has anyone been to this festival who could give me some insight to it? What time to go, etc.

Peter? ;-)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slow Food Festival

I've searched, but only came across this, for the 30th....

…wordpress.com/2012/…

Rather than me spending any more time looking, how about sharing with us where you found that information?

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slow Food Festival

This too is saying the 30th...

it-it.facebook.com/events/425913267421810/…

P

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slow Food Festival

Sorry! You are correct as usual Peter. It's Wed the 30th. So? Have you ever been? I will be on Ischia the entire week. Leaving Sat June 2

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slow Food Festival

The Slow Food people's big thing in May has usually been to participate at this event, held in the grounds of Negombo, to which we've been several times....

…negombo.it/Ischia-terme-spiaggia-giardini/I…

A mix of talks, lectures and discussions - leavened with a variety of tastings etc - you'll perhaps get the idea from the photos here:

www.flickr.com/photos/slowfoodischiaeprocida/

By Piazza San Gaetano I'd expect they mean this area....

pbase.com/isolaverde/image/143526961/original

... adjacent to the church of the same name, and only 2 or 3 minutes walk from where the bus (1, 2 or CD) will drop you beside the port of Forio, some 10-15 minutes maybe from where you're staying - before it turns to run along the coast, towards La Mortella, Lacco Ameno etc.

Not at all hard to find but, with GoogleMaps, use its official name:

Piazza Luca Balsofiore, Forio, Italia

The evening events seem to start at 18:30 - and I'd guess will either be dead on time, or ages late?

Mostly it's likely to be in Italian only, and beyond absolute beginner level.... but have a go - the "Vicoli Saraceni" tour of the old parts of the town, for instance, should be interesting... and tastings are pretty international!

If there beforehand, seems they'll have a "desk" in the square - where you can probably find out more, and register for anything that requires that?

Peter

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slow Food Festival

Thanks Peter. I just checked the first link (Word Press) and translated it and it said celebrate birthday on May 26, so I guess that's how I got confused with the dates. I guess what I'm looking for is only what will be in the square at 18:30. I was also planning on going to Negombo on another day for the Imomea at Negombo and go into the butterfly house.

A little confused about the Slow Food Festival in the square at 18:30. Do you pay for each dish or one price for all tastings? Any idea what the price is?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slow Food Festival

I spotted a poster for the event yesterday evening, whose layout is a little clearer.... with the San Gaetano square divided into differently coloured sections (rosso, verde, blu etc for the evening's various activities:

pbase.com/isolaverde/image/143539175/original

The talks and other events seem to be free, through to the closing glass of Ischian wine after the 9PM theatrical presentation has ended - with food being available at the Bar Mimi and Pizzeria Strambata, where you'd probably have to pay?

But the only price I can see mentioned is 25 Euro, for a Slow Food Day card for adults - although it's not clear whether that's a 'must do' or only a way of contributing to the movement - so ring, or drop by the 'desk' for more information?

Think you now know about as much as I do - other than perhaps that the Riccardo d'Ambra mentioned is the proprietor of this place...

http://www.trattoriailfocolare.it/

www.lucianopignataro.com/articolo.php?pl=3673

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slow Food Festival

To go with that latter - for how to get to Il Focolare, see the instructions about 2/3 the way through this....

fodors.com/community/…day-trip-to-ischia.cfm

Peter

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slow Food Festival

Thanks Peter!!! I have a funny feeling that we'll be the only English speaking people there. That ought to be fun. Better take my dictionary with me! My mom can understand it, but can't really speak it LOL!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slow Food Festival

Particularly the theatre show at the end might be a bit difficult for her to run a simultaneous translation!

But if does all get too much, as far as I know there's still a nice little winebar on the lane that runs down the far side of the church - where they sell the produce of the Pietratorcia winery...

Address:

Le Cantine Pietratorcia nell'Antica Libreria Mattera

Via Marina (dietro la Chiesa di San Gaetano)

Forio - Isola d'Ischia - (NA) Italia

tel. 0813332037

Just a glass, to gather yourselves for the journey back, of course!

The winery itself also makes for an interesting visit.

Peter

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slow Food Festival

Thanks again! Just want to eat good food and drink good local wine.