We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Andros in May

vermont
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Ferry to Andros in May

I'm planning to go to Andros in May, and I was looking for a ferry from Rafina to Andros on May 19 (a Friday). On the GTP site and the OpenSeas site, it shows a ferry leaving Rafina at 5:30 PM- though a few other sites don't show any ferry.

I'd like to be sure I can depend on the 5:30 ferry, is it wise to do that?

Also, assuming the ferry is ok, should I buy tickets now? and if so what is the best way to do that?

Thanks,

Dave

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Andros in May

I would rely on GTP, and the fact that the ship Theologos P have sailed the same route for years, at the same schedule. I dont know which other sites you refer to, but if it is ferries.gr , it is normal that some local or shorter routes are missing from their website. I guess it is because they dont sell tickets for those routes.

Buy your ticket in Rafina prior to departure.

Edited: 4:30 pm, March 19, 2012
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Andros in May

I don't see a problem with that 17:30 ferry (Theologos P) - Cyclades Fast Ferries have already confirmed their schedules for 2012 and it is sailing on May 19. No need to buy a ticket in advance, it it a big ferry and tickets are very unlikely to sold out.

w62
London
Level Contributor
840 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Andros in May

I travelled last year on a Friday in June and didn't buy a ticket in advance. The ferry was full and we only got a cancellation 5 mins before it was due to depart. I would say buy a ticket just to be sure.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Andros in May

That's rather unusual as Theologos P can carry some 1200 passengers. It may be due it was later in the season and it was Friday (May 19 is not Friday, it's Saturday so there will not be very many weekenders travelling). Anyway, of course it is possible to book, best to do it is directly with Cyclades Fast Ferries (no commission or transaction fees) and pick it up from their agent in Rafina (the address must be somewhere on their website in terms&conditions)

www.fastferries.com.gr/Article.aspx?a_id=399

w62
London
Level Contributor
840 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Andros in May

I was surprised too - had been assured by everyone I spoke to that there was no need. We had a rather anxious couple of hours when we were told no room but to wait to see if there was a cancellation. There were four of us which made it extra tricky. Luckily the last ticket agent (right by the ferry) had taken our names and during the scrum for cancellation tickets they remembered us and gave us priority. It was a worry though as it was the last ferry of the day so we were faced with the prospect of booking a hotel - and his prices were rising as it got closer to the ferry departure time!

vermont
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Andros in May

Thanks to everyone for the responses! They've been very helpful.

I'm really looking forward to Andros, and i'm sure I'll have more questions before we leave.

Dave

w62
London
Level Contributor
840 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Andros in May

I'm really jealous. We had the best holiday last year. I would have rebooked but my partner doesn't like to go to the same place two years in a row so we have booked Fornells in Menorca which I know will be nice but I just can't get quite as excited about.

Any questions on Andros just fire away!

8. Re: Ferry to Andros in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Andros