We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another ferry question or two!

w62
London
Level Contributor
835 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Another ferry question or two!

These ferries aint easy to find on-line! We fly out on Saturday June the 11th - our flight arrives at 1440- and finally the 1730 that I was told about is showing up. Phew!

We have booked to stay in Athens overnight on the Friday th 24th (our return flight is at 1440 on teh Saturday) and were hoping to get a Friday morning ferry from Andros to Rafina so we could do some sight-seeing. However, according to all the ferry links I could find the first ferry out of Gavrion on that day is aroun d half two in the afternoon. Is this correct? Anyone know?

w62
London
Level Contributor
835 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another ferry question or two!

Sorry about typos - I tried to edit but it timed me out. I wanted to add that I have looked at all the links that people have kindly provided and note that someone has referred to a 10am ferry from Gavrio - but I just cannot find it. Also should I book ahead - we are travelling mid-June. I didn't want to book for a particular ferry in case of travel disruption.

Thanks again

T

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another ferry question or two!

The schedule of the 'Theologos' does seem strange in that just when you are going and the hi-season Fri/Sat/Sun it's 14:45 and not at 10:15. That must be right for that ferry as it overnights in Rafina and not Mykonos.

The question is of course is there another ferry, you never know, so why not just look in the ticket agencies on arrival in Gavrion, then that will be the best information.

I really don't think you need to book in advance, particularly the return ferry.

Andros is a popular weekend getaway island so I suspect that's something to do with it.

w62
London
Level Contributor
835 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another ferry question or two!

Thanks for the quick response. Will do as you suggest. I suppose its not the end of the world if we don't get any sightseeing done in Athens on the penultimate day. Shame though.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another ferry question or two!

We've had this problem before with flights leaving about 2pm. What with the time to get from Rafina to the Airport and then check-in time, it's just about impossible to get a morning ferry from Andros. We usually go the night before and stay overnight in Rafina - it's actually quite a funky little town!

w62
London
Level Contributor
835 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another ferry question or two!

Hi thanks. We are actually leaving the day before to stay in Athens overnight but were hoping to do some sightseeing.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another ferry question or two!

We have just returned - Agoudimos ferries leave Andros at 10am for Rafina.

there is also what used to be the Blue Star ferry, but the company name has changed to Golden Star. A fast ferry also runs that route on some days but it's more expensive. Check your options when you get there - either at the ticket agencies in Gavrio, or the one in Batsi, for the most up to date timetables.

We've survived the 11th May strike without many problems and if you're travelling at the weekend you'll be fine leaving the return arrangements until you're out there.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another ferry question or two!

The Agoudimos ferry schedule is here:

www.agoudimos-lines.com/Content.aspx…

and the Cycades Fast Ferry here:

www.fastferries.com.gr/Article.aspx?a_id=451

w62
London
Level Contributor
835 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another ferry question or two!

Thanks for the info. It looks fairly clear that on the dates we travel there is no 10am back from Andros. Never mind, as we are coming over the day before our flight home, it's not the end of the world. As long as we get to Athens in time for a wee stroll, some dinner and a glass of wine or two we will just dandy.

beer sheva
Level Contributor
61 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another ferry question or two!

For others who are going to use these lines, I found it easier with paleologos. It suited my flights, anyway.

10. Re: Another ferry question or two!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, October 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Andros