We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to holiday on Andros

w62
London
Level Contributor
828 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
How to holiday on Andros

Hi here. I used to travel to Andros several times a year in the mid 80s when I worked in travel. I adored the place - it was so unspoilt, picturesque and the locals were amazingly friendly.

Have recently been to a couple of tourist destinations that have frankly been charmless and full of British bars and pubs etc. I am determined to get it right next year and rediscover the real parts of Greece. Is Andros still unspoilt and traditional?

Is there a holiday company operating there? I would normally book privately but in view of the connections to the mainland I thought it might be good to book a package simply to get the transfers arranged. Also can anyone recommend a quiet apartment or hotel?

Grateful for any advice.

Tan

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: How to holiday on Andros

Sorry for dragging up an old topic. I've been going to Andros on and off for the last 25 years as my folks have a small house there. When I first went there you wouldn't get too far without knowing Greek, apart from in Batsi. However, like most places in Greece, things are very different now.

Having said that, I still found myself having to speak (poor) Greek in restaurants in Andros town the last time I was there, although it was out of season. The town itself is well worth a visit and hasn't changed too much, although I was quite saddened to see that there were a few trendy bars and the old cafe where the old guys played backgammon was gone. However, there were some good new tavernas. Places change, and in Andros it's still unspoilt.

Basically, apart from Batsi, the island's mostly a destination for Greeks. It's not ruined, close to Athens and a lot of folk have holiday/weekend homes out there.

It's worth hiring a moped or if you're too scared, a small car and exploring the island. If you're a walker, it's a great place, as up in the hills it's not too hot, although you'll need sunscreen. The walk from Yiallia to Apoikia through the villages is a good one (or the other way if you don't like going uphill). There are also some good beaches on that side of the island.

I do have one question of my own though. Has anyone flown to Mikanos and got the boat up, rather than going via Rafina? I know Rafina's less difficult with the Spata airport but I'm still wondering if it's a worthwhile alternative.

w62
London
Level Contributor
828 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: How to holiday on Andros

Thanks for the response. It sounds fab. Maybe more built up than it used to be, but compared to some of the resorts I visited in Cyprus last year I'm sure it's positively exotic.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: How to holiday on Andros

yes, you can fly to Mykonos & get the ferry up. we did that a few years ago - had a taxi from the airport & bought ferry tickets at the port. unfortunately last time we went the ticket office had moved to further in the town which wasn't so convenient. we also needed to spend our last night on Mykonos for the flight home.

the runway at Mykonos was short - they put the brakes on very hard!! and tthe airport is tiny - not much fun when packed on a hot day. in balance we prefer to fly to Athens & ususally get a better deal with the air fare.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: How to holiday on Andros

Hi

This may be too late but I can confirm Andros is still unspoilt. We have been every year for the last 5. Take a schedule to Athens, e. g. Easy Jet and take the 20 mins bus to Rafina and 2 hour ferry to Gavrio.Happy to advise

paul richards

Edited: 2:33 pm, April 11, 2011
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: How to holiday on Andros

i

This may be too late but I can confirm Andros is still unspoilt. We have been every year for the last 5. Take a schedule to Athens, eg. Easy Jet and take the 20 mins bus to Rafina and 2 hour ferry to Gavrio.Happy to advise

paulrichards@fsmail.net

w62
London
Level Contributor
828 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: How to holiday on Andros

Thanks Paul. We have booked easyjet flights and are heading out there in June. Very excited.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: How to holiday on Andros

We are going at end of May , do you have a place booked yet ? If not I recommend Villa Dora. The bus to Rafina is right outside the terminal, just cross over the road where the taxis park [Not the main bus rank] The little bus stop is opposite the Big hotel.

Take a bus to the capital on Andros, it is worth it for the scenery alone. The best ferry is the old Penelope,which the locals prefer as it is the most stable in rough seas

.Paul

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: How to holiday on Andros

HI

Yes its quite easy and fairly cheap to go from Mykinos.Most of the Rafina to Andros boats go on to Mykinos and vice versa.

We did it a few years ago on route from Thira.{ beware religous holidays as Tinos lies between and it ferries can be busy]as Tinos is a pilgrimage site]

But with spata connected to rafina by a 2o min bus ride its not worth it unless you have got a cheap charter to mykinos,. We take the night flight by BA and get the first ferry, book 6 mths in advance and it usually as cheap as easy jet.

We did it a few years ago on route from Thira.

Tinos is worth a visit as well.The countryside takes you back to Greece of 30 years ago.Miles without seeing a car !

w62
London
Level Contributor
828 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: How to holiday on Andros

And Yes again Paul. Have a sea view room booked at the villa Dora! Excellent to know i have made the right choice!

40. Re: How to holiday on Andros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 27, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Andros