We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to holiday on Andros

Which Andros hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
w62
London
Level Contributor
797 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
How to holiday on Andros

Hi here. I used to travel to Andros several times a year in the mid 80s when I worked in travel. I adored the place - it was so unspoilt, picturesque and the locals were amazingly friendly.

Have recently been to a couple of tourist destinations that have frankly been charmless and full of British bars and pubs etc. I am determined to get it right next year and rediscover the real parts of Greece. Is Andros still unspoilt and traditional?

Is there a holiday company operating there? I would normally book privately but in view of the connections to the mainland I thought it might be good to book a package simply to get the transfers arranged. Also can anyone recommend a quiet apartment or hotel?

Grateful for any advice.

Tan

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
605 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to holiday on Andros

I was in Andros in the middle of September and had a great time! It was the least touristy island that I visited on my trip. I wrote a small report that you can check out on the Greece reports page. I would guess there are places in Batsi (it is probably much more built up then when you were there last) and also in Gavrio. I met someone there that manages rental homes and places that I can put you in touch with to see if he has something that fits your needs. Not sure if you are more interested in a hotel type of place or a studio/home where you can set up shop.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to holiday on Andros

You don't really need a holiday company to arrange transfers. Andros is well connected to the mainland, with boats leaving from both ports in Athens (Piraeus and Rafina), although mostly from Rafina, which is close to the airport (that's the new airport at Spata, not the one in Elliniko you would have flown to back in the 80's).

It's too early for ferry schedules for next year, but if you know roughly when you want to go, just use openseas.gr to see what ferries were available at the same time last year, and book your flight accordingly. Aim to arrive in Athens 3-4 hours before your ferry leaves from Piraeus, 2-3 before it leaves from Rafina, that way all you have to do upon arrival is hop on a bus and get to the port. Couldn't be easier :-)

w62
London
Level Contributor
797 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to holiday on Andros

thanks both for your messages am excited as it still sounds amazing. the transfers sound easier than when i used to make the trip. When i went there Gavrio was just a shop and a couple of local tavernas. From the photos Batsi still looks lovely. That's where i was thinking of going. Would you recommend it or another part of the island?

stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to holiday on Andros

There are no ferries to Andros from Piraeus.Recently,there have been 3 ferries serving the route from Rafina,usually 2 morning and 1 late afternoon although there are additional sailings in high seasonsJourney is around 2 hours.This year there was also an Hellenic Seaways highspeed ferry in summer which did the journey in just over an hour

To me Batsi looked the same this year as it did 12 years ago when I first visited and I would suggest it is probably the best place to stop as it has reasonable tourist facilities with a selection of tavernas and bars.No English pubs though.

There are plenty of places to stay and you are close to nice beaches.

Depending on when you travel,Rafina is quite easy to reach from the airport by bus,it only takes about 40 minutes max.I have never used a taxi so cant comment on that.

The first times I went were with Manos but I am not aware of any Uk based travel company going there.

I have stayed at Villa Pitsa and George and Villa dora in Batsi and found them both to be excellent,my reviews are on this site.

My featured picture is Batsi at sunset.

w62
London
Level Contributor
797 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to holiday on Andros

thanks Richard. That is really helpful. I think the fact no Ul tour operators go there now is probably why its still so nice. I think it was only my company Falcon Holidays, that went there in the 80s. I now need to persuade the OH !

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
605 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to holiday on Andros

I agree that Batsi is probably your best bet for all around accommodations and a nice bay to look at and swim in. Also it is on the way to Hora and not far to Gavrio which also has restaurants and of course the ferry connections. I only remember ferries to Rafina not Piraeus. You would have to go to another island if you wanted to get to Piraeus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to holiday on Andros

Yep, that's right, my bad - direct ferries and cats only from Rafina (very convenient if you fly into Athens). I don't think you can go wrong with Andros, if you want a quieter/less touristy location. What is your OH not sure about?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to holiday on Andros

We stayed in Batsi a couple of years ago in June and really enjoyed it. The food was excellent everywhere we ate and I loved the bay/beach. The place felt quite Greek to us (other than the Chinese food place which wasn't opened yet when we were there). Most of the vacationers we encountered were actually Greek. We took the bus to Gavrio (I wasn't overly impressed here) and to Chora. We enjoyed Batsi and were glad we chose to stay there. We travelled by boat from Tinos to Andros and then ferried to Rafina where we stayed over for one night before our flight home the next date. We actually liked Rafina too.

Karen

w62
London
Level Contributor
797 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to holiday on Andros

Thanks for all your responses. It is a definite maybe. I am going to look into booking a studio (for 2 of us) and flights. Easyjet fly to Athens- is that who most people use? Also the Villa Galazio and Villa Nora look ok for the money.

OH is quite keen. He usually likes the villa with a pool holiday so this will be a bit of an adventure for him. But if it gets us away from the Brits Abroad (Pig and Whistle pubs etc) and we are able t o experience a little of the real Greece, then it will be worthwhile.

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to holiday on Andros

Bus fron Airport to Rafina is easy, about 30 min journey, and costs about 3 euro, pay on the bus.

Ferries leave 07.30 / 08.05 and one at 17.30, which have been the same for several years. (Blue Star Ferries are published now for the whole of 2011). All take 2 hours and cost 15 euro.

On arriving at Gavrio busses depart from immediatley outside the port gate and meet ALL the ferries. If you stay at Batsi bus takes about 10 min and costs 1.5 euro, again pay on the bus. The bus waits for people to get from the boat so if you are off first and take a taxi you can be in Batsi before the bus has left saving about 10 min but I am told this costs about 15 euro. Bus is easy, no need to spend the extra for taxi.

You have several flight choices from London with BA/EJ/Olympic/Aegean to Athens.

Hope this helps

Edited: 11:57 am, October 26, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Andros