We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naxos wind

Which Naxos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Naxos wind

Thinking of coming early July for 8 days. The wind factor worries me as I hate windy beaches - sand flying around ,hair whipping around my face and umbrellas taking off are somethings I'd rather avoid. So what is the truth on the Naxos wind?? The fact that they offer windsurfing at the beaches is a big no-no sign to me. I'm looking for calm waters, beaches with a light breeze at the most!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,213 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naxos wind

You are out of luck the northerly meltemi wind is ever present in the area during the summer, some days the wind can get very strong. The beaches south of Naxos town are south facing, so sand blowing around is the norm.

You can look up the actual figures on a climate website.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,341 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naxos wind

The Agios Prokopios beach is normally in shelter of the Stelida hill.

They offer windsurfing at the brink of St. George beach, which occasionally can get rough, and in Mikri Vigla, which is very open for wind in all directions.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naxos wind

Thanks, are we talking about the kind of wind I'm trying to avoid where your umbrella flies away, your hair whips in your face?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,341 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naxos wind

St. George Beach and the area west of it is more vulnerable to the wind. It is also very shallow, and waves can get high.

You can get an idea here:

…online.no/album/orderonlytsl/showalbum.php…

In my opinion, Agios Prokopios must be your obvious choice of the beaches. The further north you go on this beach, the more you are in shelter from the Stelida area.

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
295 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naxos wind

the Meltemi is about but I think in July you should be OK - it tends to get worse late August/September, please don't let it put you off Naxos though!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naxos wind

No worries...and the light breeze will be a welcome relief from the warm sun.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,213 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naxos wind

The historical weather condx here:

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html

8. Re: Naxos wind

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, August 25, 2009