We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Old Town or Saint George Beach in Naxos City?

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Old Town or Saint George Beach in Naxos City?

Looking for suggestions as to which area to stay during our visit to Naxos. I know that the St. George Beach area is in walking distance to Naxos City. How long would it take to walk from Hotel Glaros to Old Town area or the port? Should we consider staying in Old Town area for the ambiance of the town or in St. George area? Which area contains a better variety of good restaurants? Can you recommend a nice hotel in Old Town? We are not too interested in the beach at St. George, as we will be going to some of the other beaches around the island, so that is really not an issue, but we do prefer a nicer hotel like Hotel Glaros or Nissaki Beach Hotel. Is it safe and well lit to walk back at night from Old Town to St. George beach area? Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Old Town or Saint George Beach in Naxos City?

My choice has always been to stay at St George Beach, and I've spent no time on the beach. I just like the low keyed atmosphere there, and the views from the room's balconies are great. And there are lots of excellent restaurants within a 5 minute walk (and Naxos town is only another 5 minutes or so...and very safe and well lit).

I'm not aware of any hotel as nice as the Glaros or the Nissaki Beach in the town itself.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Old Town or Saint George Beach in Naxos City?

The walk into the heart of Naxos Town from the beach is fairly short. I just checked the times on photos we shot one day in October, and it took us less than 20 minutes to walk from our hotel near the beach to the KTel bus station office at the port -- and that included several stops along the way to take pictures. The walk to and from town is completely safe at night.

There are good restaurants on streets near the beach, just a short walk from the Glaros and Nissaki as zakrosian has mentioned. We didn't eat at any of the tavernas right on the beach, however, because the meals we saw people eating didn't look particularly good and since other travellers told us their worst meals had been at the beachfront places (including the two closest to the two hotels you're considering).

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Old Town or Saint George Beach in Naxos City?

When are you going? We just stayed at St. George Beach this past October and it was great. We were at the Studios Naxos just 30 meters from the beach on the top floor with a kitchenette and balcony with 180 degree of the bay, beach and distance views. It's just 10 minutes or so from the Old Town and even a shorter distance to a small square outside the main tourist zone with tavernas, shops and other businesses if you don't feel going to the Old Town. I think St. George would be the better choice, especially during the off season. St. George Beach really isn't that bad, obviously there are nicer beaches elsewhere but it will do.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,881 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Old Town or Saint George Beach in Naxos City?

The important thing about St George is it is quiet at night. Along the waterfront promenade in Naxos town it can be noisy but at St George it is quiet. Greece can be very noisy at night especially in the high season making sleep difficult.

Donny and crazyh have given you the two best routes to get from Glaros to town. Either through the streets to the fountain square where there are several excellent tavernas and then continue on to the main waterfront area or as Donny mentioned follow the ocean side all the way around along the coast into the waterfront Promenade. Both are safe and if you are not stopping to take pictures probably no more than 10 minutes into town.

Here is an album of St George beach hotels I have taken over the years. Glaros and Nissaki are the first two in the set.

flickr.com/photos/…

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Old Town or Saint George Beach in Naxos City?

Thank you all so much for this WONDERFUL information! Your suggestions helped me make my decision. Booked Nissaki Beach. I love Trip Advisers!!!! : )

6. Re: Stay in Old Town or Saint George Beach in Naxos City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 03, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town