We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name you best "Non-Touristy" Taverna

Which Naxos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
concord nh
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Name you best "Non-Touristy" Taverna

The top two non-touristy tavernas I will be seeking out on Naxos are Yiayiaka's Kitchen & Manolis Garden. Any other options where more locals go to than tourists? I am interested in the Old Town and possibly some other areas and the interior villages that are easy to get to via bus.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Name you best "Non-Touristy" Taverna

Matina taverna in Koronos and Maris just off of fountain square in Naxos town.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,091 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Name you best "Non-Touristy" Taverna

I second stanbr's choice in Koronos. In Old Town you can try Metaxa Mas just in from a narrow street before the grocery shop close to the cathedral. See photos 38 - 48 in this album from July this year:

http://tinyurl.com/o3lkrnz

Most local tavernas in the smaller villages are also safe choices (stay away from the tourist strips in villages like Halki, Filoti and Apeiranthos). The local taverna in Ano Potamia is also highly recommended.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Name you best "Non-Touristy" Taverna

I guess the funny part about your post is, if GT and I and then you go to any of these tavernas won't that make them touristy as well.

On that thought I would also recommend Taverna to Kastro. It is definitely frequented by tourists but also locals. It is perched high up in the town just outside the kastro walls. Give it a try.

Bath
Level Contributor
508 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Name you best "Non-Touristy" Taverna

Agree with GT..metaxa mas is a really good choice.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Name you best "Non-Touristy" Taverna

My definition of a non-touristic taverna is one open in winther, out of tourist season. Then the choice is rather limited. The very best is Ta Gorgona in Agia Anna. Scirocco in the town main square is another. Zorbas, Meze2 and Smyrneiko at the Paralia also stay open during the winther. Most others, including the popular To Kastro and Popys, opens only when the tourists are present. Metaxa Mas has some good and some very bad reviews.

Belgium
Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
448 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Name you best "Non-Touristy" Taverna

I agree with periscope. My definition of non touristy is a place where both locals and tourists go (there are tavernas where only locals go but these are not always better plus changes are high they only speak greek).

My top 5 after this summer :

1. Boulamatsis on the harbourfront xora, accessible via back street after the liquor store. Simple great food.

2. Mytodeia. Newcomer in xora, are open since 1-2 months max. Located next to ocean club, harbour front xora. We had great food at taverna prices, great service and harbour view.

3. Maro in xora although I think in summer months, its a victim of its success, the service is not constant and i cannot eat in peace when people are waiting next to my table.

4. axiotissa in Kastraki

5. Glyfada beach tavern in Glyfada. Excellent value for money, great food, great service.

Bonus extra : Taverna Matina in Koronos but this year we could not pass by since we thought the drive was too long :)

Oxford, England
Level Contributor
249 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Name you best "Non-Touristy" Taverna

We also like Kozi on Grotta bay. Great food at very reasonable prices, and views of the Portara - and Mykonos in the distance on a clear day.

Kozi is a good alternative if it's very windy on the paralia when the wind blows from the south. And yes, it's very popular with the locals too!

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Name you best "Non-Touristy" Taverna

Thanks for all the recommendations. We have traveled to Europe a number of times and this will be our third trip to Greece. It can be overwhelming trying to find the "right" place to eat that one goes to another country for: local flavor, local people and most important great authentic food. I will research all the recommendations given to this point. Thanks!

Molde, Norway
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Name you best "Non-Touristy" Taverna

Hello,

We found really nice, non-touristy tavernas in Naxos, such as the one in Kalados, southern part of the island. There is only restaurant as this place is visited only by a few tourists. There were mostly greek people in the beach, which is absoutely not crowded. Only a few people were there. We got really good food for a reasonable price and the lady, who owned this place could speak English very good. Here you can also find apartments in the same building where the restaurant is. This is a nice little taverna with a view to the tiny bay, and it is signed on the road many places.

A really family owned taverna is be found in Lionas on the eastern coast. I do not know the name of it, but it is not the one which is closest to the beach, but the other one after that - there are only two tavernas (or at least we found only this two). Really nice people, really good food. The father in the family showed us pictures how they made the wine we drank, and we got dessert and raki (spirit) as a gift from them. It is a great memory.

We have been in the restaurant, which is in front of the church in Ano Potami as well, but we were really disappointed. We were not greeted at all, moreover we felt like we are disturbing. There were three young guys sitting outside doing nothing, at it took quite long time to take our order. However the restaurant itself is really nice, very large and decorated nicely, we did not stay for long time here. It was not only the serving which was terrible, but also the menu did not look too good.

So, if you would like to have good meal in a non-touristy taverna I would suggest you to drive a little bit more to some places where you can not find so may tourists, like Kalados and Lionas.

10. Re: Name you best "Non-Touristy" Taverna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, October 12, 2013