We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any restaurants off the beaten track?

Which Naxos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Any restaurants off the beaten track?

Hello Forum

I wonder if anyone has any ideas for any restaurants/tavernas off the beaten track in Naxos

We are planning to pick the first 10 recommended on tripadvisor and try them out for lunch and dinner but we are also looking for more traditional/home made food. Not really fussed by decor ambiance but the quality/ simplicity of the food

Many thanks in advance

Y

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Any restaurants off the beaten track?

"The best" is a very difficult expression. And when it comes to tavernas I am very sceptical to the listings in TA. Because of many tavernas with similar or identical names I am even not certain it is the correct taverna being reviewed. Or "My Best", my be Your Average or even Worst. Some people find their favorite on their first day, and dont visit any other to compare. Still they claim it is the best in town.

Last week we had a meal in Vasillis Family Taverna in Naxos Old Town. One of my friend said that this was exactly what she thought was a typically Greek taverna. I had to remind her that when we visited in March, it was only a street here, no restaurant. So many of the "most typical Greek tavernas" is only open when the tourists are present, and they are almost only visited by tourists. The same with Taverna To Kastro, loved by tourists in the summer - a parking spot off season. A few tavernas along the Paralia is open all year, Smyrneiko, Mese2 and Zorba. The popular Popis taverna is only a cheese outlet off season. Diogenes bar is open all year. The neighboer Captains Bar looks like a sty in the winther. Taverna Ta Gorgona in Agia Anna is always open, visited by lots of Greeks all year, and also catering for the biggest weddings. Scirocco in town square is also one of the few all year open.

Cambridge UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Any restaurants off the beaten track?

Go to Moutsana. It's a thrilling ride through the mountains w. many nice views and options for sightseeing such as Zeus's cave. The village in Moutsana has a few tavernas near a very small beach and fishing pier. We had a delicious meal of fresh fish and greek salad. Very inexpensive. Very tasty

Belgium
Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
455 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Any restaurants off the beaten track?

Moutsouna is one of the many options but not everybody feels comfortable enough to ride on that steep, winding mountain road. I tried one of the main harbour taverna, food was ok but not worth the long &stressy drive imo.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Any restaurants off the beaten track?

I agree with Kristinaki.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Any restaurants off the beaten track?

The barbounia which I had at To Dikti in Moutsouna was the best I've ever had anywhere in Greece and it's in a lovely location.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
255 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Any restaurants off the beaten track?

We stayed at Faros near Aliko beach last summer, and I would also add their taverna to the list,in addition to the ones that Kristinaki listed.

17. Re: Any restaurants off the beaten track?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 25, 2014