We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

has anyone stayed at Lagos Mare

chester
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
has anyone stayed at Lagos Mare

I'm thinking of staying in Lagos Mare in June.

But can't find any photos of the outside of the hotel or pool, has anyone stayed there?

Is this the right choice for a romantic, special holiday for my partner and I?

Thanks for any comments

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: has anyone stayed at Lagos Mare

We will be staying there for a week in July. We spoke to them last week and they said their website will be finished next week and will have more photos of the hotel, pool, etc. It seems because it is brand new there are not many reviews available. It does seem beautiful from the photos. Good luck. Please post if you do stay-I'd love to hear your thoughts before we go.

Thanks

TORONTO
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: has anyone stayed at Lagos Mare

Hi lilygirl3.......we are booked to stay at Lagos Mare in Sept..... I would appreceiate your comments after your visit there...please post your review as soon as possible.....Thanks DOCPRB

chester
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: has anyone stayed at Lagos Mare

Sure i'll post a review as soon as I get back, beginning of July.

It seems that we are all in the same boat, it's going to be a bit of a mystery tour!

It's going to be wonderful (i hope).

TORONTO
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: has anyone stayed at Lagos Mare

Many thanks and have a great holiday.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: has anyone stayed at Lagos Mare

Hi Lilygirl3,

We're booking from 7 June to 10 June ourselves. You can see a couple pictures of the pool/front of the hotel from the main website page as the slideshow rotates and fades in/out new pics.

http://www.lagosmare.gr

Yes, I agree that everything is a bit new with the hotel so we're all taking a shot in the dark -- a brand new 4-start Class A hotel in Naxos?

Who knows, by end of this summer, if all of our reviews are positive, we may push Lagos Mare up to the top as #1 Naxos hotel on TripAdvisor!

We'll try to share our opinions and advice during our stay on my blog:

http://fromablueplanet.livejournal.com

Regards,

Roland Thomas

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
chester
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: has anyone stayed at Lagos Mare

Thanks for that.

Just looked at the pool photos, it looks fantastic!

NOW I'M EXCITED!!!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: has anyone stayed at Lagos Mare

We were in Naxos May 16 - 23 and walked past this hotel at least twice a day. During our visit, contractors were busy doing a LOT of work on the hotel property every day -- installing fencing around the grounds, working on a children's playground, working on a parking area, doing work in the lobby, and so on. It was clear to us that construction and finishing touches are far from complete, and quite a bit of work remains to be done. It definitely has an unfinished look to it. We wondered if the hotel was even accepting guests at this time because it looked like quite a bit of work remains to be done. The place nevertheless looked intriguing, so we stopped in one day to ask for a brochure. They didn't have any printed materials available yet, but gave us only a business card and suggested we check their website for updates.

The property still looks very stark and, to be honest, doesn't look all that impressive from the street. From the road, you get a long side view of the hotel and that is primarily of a parking lot and a children's playground and one side of the building, which is mainly just plain white walls, windows and balconies. What is more attention-getting than the hotel building itself is a large sculpture in the middle of a lawn next to the playground -- it looks like a giant chess set. There is a rather large, partially-constructed building right next door on the street side of the hotel -- we weren't sure if it is a new addition to the Lagos Mare or an altogether different property being built. Another hotel is situated very close to the Lagos Mare on the other side (beach side) of the property.

You can't see the hotel pool or private grounds from the road, so we couldn't tell that this is to be a four-star property (although we did get the sense from the entrance/lobby that Lagos Mare is considerably much more upscale than most hotels in the area, which have a "traditional" design and appearance and are much smaller in scale). The rooms certainly do look great from the photos provided on the Lagos Mare website; the site suggests the rooms have sea views but we suspect they may be only partial sea views given the way the building is situated next to neighbouring properties. Whenever we looked at the hotel from the street, we kept wondering what the views would be like. But since we weren't able to see a room (I can't remember the reason why the front desk clerk couldn't show us a room when we stopped in), I can't say for certain that the views are limited.

Design/decoration of the lobby is still in progress. The outside of the hotel entrance looks very unfinished; an illuminated sign with the hotel name appeared above the front door about halfway through our visit to Naxos. At night, the lobby lighting is extremely bright -- like the inside of a supermarket. When we walked past one night, we could see right into the lobby and felt compelled to go in because there was a very dramatic giant glass and steel sphere in the middle of the lobby, and we were curious to find out what it was (turns out it's an aquarium; the hotel had yet to add fish to it on the day we were there). Hopefully they will tone down the lighting as they finish the interior decoration; it was just too bright and harsh to feel comfortable.

The hotel's location is good; it is about a 10 to 15-minute walk to the beach and to nearby restaurants, stores, car rental agencies and so on.

We'll be curious to hear what visitors think of the hotel; it looks like it has potential and, if reviews are favourable, it's definitely a place we'd consider staying at on a future trip to Naxos.

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
North Berwick...
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: has anyone stayed at Lagos Mare

My only comment is in response to Donnyb - remember the worldwide comment on the Athens Olympic buildings and how everyone was sure that nothng would be completed in time for the Olympic Games. Needless to say, everything was finished and the Games were a huge success for Athens.

I have no doubt that the hotel will be ready

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: has anyone stayed at Lagos Mare

Marali, I'm sure the hotel will be ready within the next couple of weeks, too -- except for the section that is still just a concrete shell (if indeed it is an addition to the main hotel, which it seemed to be). I only hope the finishing touches give the hotel a more comfortable, completed feel than it had when we walked inside less than two weeks ago.

As I said, a lot of work was being done on the property each day, so management clearly hopes to have the place ready in time for the peak tourist season.

(And just to respond to your observation about the Olympic buildings, I wish I could find the article I had clipped out of a newspaper one year after the 2004 Games ... it described how many of the Olympic facilities were built in such haste, they were already falling apart and in dire need of millions of euros worth of repairs to remain operational. I hope new luxury hotels aren't being built in the same manner!)

Naxos
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: has anyone stayed at Lagos Mare

My name is Vassilis Lapanaitis and I am the manager of Lagos Mare Hotel.

First of all , I would like to really thank "donnyb" for the feedback given but I would like to mention that our official opening was on 20th of May.

It is real that we had “work in progress” until 19th of May for installing a safety floor (nowhere else found in Naxos) on our children’s playground and a fence right outside our property for safety reasons.

I would like to ensure that all the constructions had already finished prior to 20th of May. The second building referred to the article is indeed Lagos Mare’s property , however it is going to start operating on Summer 2007 (luxurious apartments with private Jacuzzi) – and of course no construction is taking place.

Secondly, regarding the Aquarium, I would like to notice that in order to have bigger fishes in the Aquarium, a 2 week water-test process should take place to ensure the right environment of the fishes.

Finally, it is our pleasure for anyone being in Naxos island to come and have a look at our hotel and our rooms , as already happens with many visitors during the past 10 days .

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town