We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Cyclades - which islands? how long? which order?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
The Cyclades - which islands? how long? which order?

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Greek islands in June. We plan to meet up with another couple in Athens and then stay at approx 3 islands over a period of 8 nights, 9 days. We thought of staying on Mykonos and Santorini definately. The question is which other island - Naxos or Paros or even Ios? Or do day trips only? - I see that Delos and Syros are recommended. My only concern is the cost - I understand that Santorini and Mykonos are very expensive, so staying on another cheaper island for a couple of nights might be the best option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also do we need to book accomodation between 7 and 15 June?

Thank you

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
725 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Cyclades - which islands? how long? which order?

9 days is not really very long to see three islands.

Paros has the most connections, Mykonos doesn't take long from there by fast boat, you could start on Paros and spend a day in Mykonos if connections are favourable or just stay one night to experience it.

Paros to Santorini by Flying Cat 4 fast boat takes about just under two hours, the ferry would be longer

you need to look at the Greek travel pages (GTP) web site to work out how you could do it.

Remember each time you move you are losing at least half a day travelling.

You could fly from Athens to Santorini, it's either Olympic airlines or Agean air then work your way back to Athens staying at Paros and Mykonos

It shouldn't be a problem finding accomodation.

Trisha

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Cyclades - which islands? how long? which order?

you should spend at least 3 days to each island........forget day trips and all these....islands of aegean should be visited in more than 3 days just to see more things than the main port and one beach......all the islands have places that you need days to find them....for example the most famous places of santorini are fira town and oia.....but places like red beach,pyrgos town,amoudi are great and you will need more than 3 days to explore them...so the less time is 3 days...1-2 dyas is nothing......for couples would be better to visit naxos...more relaxation and peacefull destination than ios and parois which are places full of youths and nightlife......so.....mykonos...then the ferry to naxos and last stop santorini....follow the route of the ferry connecting these 3 islands......check the schedule

http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Cyclades - which islands? how long? which order?

yes book your accomondation......you are travelling to famous destinations of greece.....

Kent
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Cyclades - which islands? how long? which order?

Syros is a lot cheaper than Mykonos - it's where a lot of people from Athens choose to have their holidays, so it's Greek prices rather than Tourist prices. Really friendly island. There are some nice hotels in the main town, or go to one of the beach villages, such as Galissas. Recommend Dolphin Bay Hotel if you want a hotel or Galissas Studios if you want self catering.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Cyclades - which islands? how long? which order?

You cannot stay in Delos. The entire island is an archaeological park and no one is permitted on the island after 3 pm.

North Berwick...
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The Cyclades - which islands? how long? which order?

Santorini and Mykonos are certainly worth visiting. I would choose Naxos for my third island as it is cheaper and more authentic, although I agree with Gas that 9 days is not long enough to see 3 islands properly.

Greece is still a great value destination and prices are still lower than elsewhere in Europe.

7. Re: The Cyclades - which islands? how long? which order?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, August 13, 2009