We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for any destination experts re. view of port

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Question for any destination experts re. view of port

Hi,

My family and I are hoping to go to Naxos on holiday in the second half of July 2011, for definitely two, possibly three weeks. As we are travelling with children we prefer to spend our whole holiday on just one island and explore and enjoy it really well. We have had wonderful previous holidays on Sifnos, Syros, Rhodes, Paros and Antiparos.

Our group consists of myself, my partner and our six-year-old son and my sister and her two girls aged 10 and 13 - so we would like an apartment which sleeps six or two rooms side-by-side which sleep three each. We need to have a terrace or roof terrace so we three adults can sit together later in the evening right outside the rooms while the kids are in bed.

We like the idea of staying in the centre of Naxos Town and using it as a base. We will either walk to Agios Georgios beach or use buses to explore the other beaches and villages around the island. The main things for us are low budget, some cooking facilities and a view of the boats coming in and out of the port (watching them is my favourite thing to do!). I like the look of Despina's Rooms as the view from the roof terrace is exactly what we're looking for and there are shared cooking facilities. I have, however, read that the rooms on the roof are very small. Does this mean that they only fit two people or is it possible to have two triple rooms up there?

Can anyone recommend any other rooms or studios with access in the evenings to a similar view? Can you see the port from Agios Georgios beach or is the view only from the Kastro area?

As far as budget is concerned we are looking to spend less than 100 euros between us all per night. We have seen some studios at Agia Anna which sleep three for about 40 euros each per night or sleep 6 for less than 80 euros but we would not have the views or the old town atmosphere which we love.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks,

Janet

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,988 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for any destination experts re. view of port

Janet,

I don't know Despina's rooms specifically, but I know where they are as I found them about 3 weeks ago. They are probably one of the very few places where you can see the port. The only other place that I can think of is the Panorama Hotel, but their website seems to be down at the moment. The stretch of the waterfront from where you can see the port is all tavernas, bars and cafes. The old town rises up behind so any accommodation that has a view of the port will be within old buildings in the old town, like Despina's is, so it is unlikely you will find large rooms and apartments. Much of the accommodation in Naxos Town is in the newer part around the St George's Beach area, but you can't see the port from there as it is at the other side of a headland.

GreecemadUK

Edited: 10:27 am, September 25, 2010
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,887 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for any destination experts re. view of port

I have never stayed in Naxos town but a friend did like Hotel Panorama and we have passed Despina. Another hotel to consider would be hotel Anixis.

It has a beautiful setting high up by the Kastro with sea view rooms and a rooftop patio. Its web site offers triple and quad rooms

I doubt that it has kitchen facilities and I am pretty sure anything high up in Naxos town is not going to be in your budget range in high season.

I do have a picture of Anixis in this album.

…webshots.com/photo/2169522390044743536mcCglZ

You may be able to find something with kitchen and sea view in your price range at St George beach. You can see some of the ferrys approaching and leaving Naxos from St George but not a direct view of the harbour area.

With all those young kids I would think a quick walk to the beach might be an option you may want to consider.

Most of the hotels in Naxos will still be open now so I would suggest if you find a few that appear to meet some of your criteria you contact them now to determine rates and if they can accommodate all of you. Most of these hotels are small and family run so the owners tend to take their own vacations during the winter period and many p[people here have expressed frustration that they cannot get responses from these hotels until March.

Have fun planning.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for any destination experts re. view of port

Murph, You have VERY exacting requirements Murph! You want REALLY CHEAP digs, Cooking, OUtdoor terrace for adults, PLUS close-up of port. No such place in entire island.... and I've stayed there 10 times, in many areas.

Stanbr is right; Ag. Giorgios beach is best for u . This map of Town & Beach shows location of many hotels -- others can be located by referring to hotels next door: naxos-greece.net/site/gfx/chora_naxos_hotels…

HOTELS -- you need to look at Studios Kalergis and Studios Thomais, the ground floor units have BR, plus main room w daybeds, and outdoor patios; if u can find 2 adjoining ones, GRAB them!! They are located right on the beach between #61 & #12. Another hotel, Sunbeach (#34) is just 10 metres from the beach thegreektravel.com/naxos/sunbeach/index.html and may be even better for you, larger rooms... and outside balconies too. If all 5 of you can squeeze into a 2-room apt u might make your 100€ budget. I think to get all the "musts" you list, €100 is unrealistic. and BTW, Ag. Anna is a small narrow beach that is grotesquely overcrowded even in May -- I shudder to thnk what it's like in July.

PORT VIEW -- You can get your "fix" of watching boats dock, several ways. Right on harborside the seawall has handy "niche seating" areas (tho not in shade). OR you can sit at very south end of the harborside (look at map, just beyond #16, by the water) several nice cafes with cushy seats. OR, from Ag. Giorgios, walk up beyond Nissaki Bech hotel (#27), to the high point, there is an ABANDONED cafe there, you have a high perch to view docking ferries.

In July, Ag. GIorgios beach will be quite crowded but you can readily bus out to PLAKA Beach which always has plenty of room, and rent some sunbeds and sunbrellas for the afternoon.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for any destination experts re. view of port

Thank you everyone who replied. It's been very helpful. I suppose it would be nearly as nice to see ferries leaving and approaching Naxos even if we couldn't see them actually in the port, so St George Beach might suit. I am going to contact a few places which have been suggested and see what the prices are like for next year.

Our budget for accommodation is low because our flights always end up costing quite a bit as we live in the North of Ireland where we have no direct flights to Greece. We will have to choose between travelling to Dublin and paying for an expensive flight to Athens, and travelling from Piraeus which we don't much enjoy, or flying to London, staying overnight there and then flying to Santorini the next day. My sister did this last year to get to Antiparos and she highly recommended it. We met her on Antiparos after flying to London and then flying to Mykonos (we booked our flights at separate times), which we don't recommend but then we really don't like Mykonos.

We have also been lucky with accommodation prices on our previous holidays. Last July the 6 of us shared an apartment with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a large part of a large shared garden in the Kastro area of Antiparos all for 70 euros a night in total! Admittedly it did not have a view of the boats so next year I hope to manage that little bit extra!

Any other suggestions will be gratefully received. I do love planning Greek island holidays! Thanks.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for any destination experts re. view of port

Jd, we understand budgeteering, but then compare what airfare costs per person to come even from the EAST coast of USA or Canada ... in July absolute minimum if you watch-dogged fares & bought way ahead... $1100-1200.

I agree you got lucky in Antiparos ... if you are willing to be back from the beach in Ag. Giorgios. I think you could do quite well, maybe not taht little. Here are some small apartment-hotels in the quiet part of Ag. Giorgios, narrow lanes no traffic: Hotel Elizabeth, Hotel Syrianos, Hotel Kymata.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,887 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for any destination experts re. view of port

I have been thinking a bit more on your criteria. There is another option. We have never stayed here but we did tour the property a few years ago and felt we would love to try it out if we were ever in Naxos in the off season and did not want to be near the beach.

It is in the adjacent hamlet of Grotta. It is about 400 meters to the center of Naxos town and has a full view of the Portara and all the way to Mykonos. You will see the ships from here. It has kitchen facilities and a great patio.

Not sure about how many people per room it can accommodate but 3 years ago it was 30 euro, on a walk up basis in June. You can probably negotiate if you want to stay 3 weeks.

It is called Ilada. Here is their web site.

http://iliadastudios.gr/

The only drawback to this option is it is all uphill on the way back from town and the shortcut is up a steep path. Bring a flashlight if you plan on coming home after dark..

Here are our pictures of Ilada.

travel.webshots.com/album/570796960FtMsPF…

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,887 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for any destination experts re. view of port

Now that Jan has introduced small apartment hotels back from the beach at St George with no view you could consider Hotel Glaros Studios. We stay here all the time. it has several rooms with multi bedrooms and is inexpensive. We love it because it is in a residential neighborhood and we like to pretend we are living in Greece. You will find the Glaros studios under Hotel Glaros which is the parent property on St George.

Also for a higher end hotel with a pool, sea views about 200 meters from the beach try Hotel Spiros. It has 7 two bedroom units with kitchen. Spiros is probably a bit higher priced than your budget (it was 55 euro in June last year) however again if you are staying for 3 weeks what hotel would not want to negotiate price. Both of these hotels are family run.

Here are pictures of Glaros studios

travel.webshots.com/album/577946185GJDbmo

Spiros

travel.webshots.com/album/577937409BloLVg

Edited: 4:39 pm, September 25, 2010
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for any destination experts re. view of port

stanbr, about Spiro -- That 55€ was just for a double room I think... they are trying to get housing for SIX people + kitchenette for 80€ per night or under.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for any destination experts re. view of port

Thank you all for your great suggestions.

Stanbr, I think I have actually sent some of your lovely photos to my sister as a postcard on webshots! I had also been thinking that the Grotta area might provide us with views of the ferries. I will definitely check out some of these places.

I have often looked at Kalergis Studios too, travellerjan, (it has a brilliant location) but this time I will actually enquire about prices. Thanks.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for any destination experts re. view of port

Jd, I have stayed in 3 places in Naxos -- Up high in the Kastro (Panorama), and in Grotta Area (Iliada Studios and GRotta Hotel) and Ag. Giorgios (several places). I finally felt that in Kastro and Grotta, it was just too much of a hike down and up, to the beaches and to town. If I had a young family that would make that reason doubly important ... when it's hot as u leave the beach do you want to hike uphill? At Ag. Giorgios, the 2 girls can do water sports -- also they can safely be a bit independent, away from traffic, going for snacks etc. all I'm saying is ... less work for Mother. And the other old saying... when kids aint happy, aint nobody happy.

Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town