We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to Naxos from Samos by ferry

Which Naxos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
getting to Naxos from Samos by ferry

Hi everyone-

I am new to this forum-this will be our first trip to Naxos.

We are planning to take the Sept. 6 ferry from Samos to Naxos. It is supposed to be a 5 hr. trip via Evdilos. Not sure if we should splurge for a 2 bed outside cabin for such a short trip. Other seating options are Atrium, vip numbered seat. Many folks have mentioned trouble in booking seats together on these ferries.

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to Naxos from Samos by ferry

That problem with booking together seems to have somehting to do with the form online, which really is intended for cabins, not for seats. I don't know how you straighten it out. If this is a regular ferry (1500 passengers etc) there should be plenty of seats. When do you arrive in Greece? Why not just go to a travel agency and book the seats then??? It doesn't cost more than online -- prices are govt regulated.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,008 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to Naxos from Samos by ferry

That ferry is only 4½ hrs, you won't need a cabin. Quite simple buy the cheapest ticket and find seats together, that's it, no faffing around needed. 100% guaranteed.

New York City
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to Naxos from Samos by ferry

Hi-

We will be going to Samos via Turkey - this will be our entrance to Greece. I wanted to book the ferry online at Hellenic Seaways and then pick up the tickets in Samos from their local agent. Would that work?

vessel is Nissos Mykonos

Options on the ferry:

2 bed outside cabin A class -146 euros for both

Atrium vip numbered seat - 88 euros for both

Since the crossing is 5 hrs (if all goes well), should we go for the cabin? Is the view from the cabin good, or are we better off in the Atrium seating, whatever that is?

I can't find a photo of the ferry interior online,but I will keep trying.

New York City
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to Naxos from Samos by ferry

Am I nuts to pay for the Atrium seats? I don't usually get seasick but I want to be in a good location on the boat. I am assuming that I can walk around anywhere if I book the Atrium seats.

I would like to be able to sit comfortably, have a drink and watch the islands go by.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to Naxos from Samos by ferry

Not worth paying for a cabin on such as short crossing. Honest.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: getting to Naxos from Samos by ferry

I like to travel business/vip class when I can afford it, as you get more room and better service, however, on most boats you can't actually "watch the islands go by" from any other place but the open deck.

New York City
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: getting to Naxos from Samos by ferry

Thanks for your reply - I didn't see it before asking about the Atrium ticket.

Would I be, naff, I think the expression is, to pay for the Atrium seats?

Also, if I book online is it fairly painless to pick up the tickets in Samos? Alternatives?

Thank you!

New York City
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: getting to Naxos from Samos by ferry

So no view from the cabins, then?

Just read, eat and drink and walk around abit like on a train? Sorry for stupidity - just want to be prepared for this.

Thank you all for such prompt and informative answers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: getting to Naxos from Samos by ferry

Well, the view you get differs from ship to ship, as each ship has its own config. but most modern ships have been built with small windows and when cruising these get spattered with sea water/salt so they become virtually opaque. Or they may be placed above or below eye level, so you can actually only see out when you're standing/crouching respectively. On a large ship, like the Blue Stars, the VIP lounge looks a bit like a cafe, with comfy chairs and tables, and a bar at one end. The economy class lounge looks the same, but with less comfy seats and less room. You find a seat, plonk yourself down and order a drink, just like you would at a cafe. There's usually a restaurant/fast food section, where you can get something to eat, a small shop, maybe a DVD player rental place to help pass the time. You can walk all over the ship and go out on deck as you please, but when the ship is cruising, being on the deck may not be as much fun as it sounds, it can get wet (from the waves) and very windy/cold, but the atmosphere is usually good, with groups of people playing cards, singing or sunbathing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: getting to Naxos from Samos by ferry

Have a look at this to get an idea of what I'm talking about. Click on each photo to enlarge and read an explanation at the bottom.

photobucket.com/images/blue%20star%20ferry/