We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in the historical centre of Naxos

Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in the historical centre of Naxos

Hi, My husband and I are in our early 50's and plan to spend 3-4 nights in Naxos in late September 2009. We would prefer to stay in the historic Kastro area or the Grotta district so we can experience the narrow cobbled streets etc.

We want something clean and spacious - ideally with a small sitting area or balcony with a view. and a modern bathroom with a shower cubicle.

I can only find maybe 6 hotels in the area/s concerned - Anixis, Venetiko, Castro Residence, Iliada Studios, Chateau Zevgoli and Kelia Apts.

There isn't a lot of info or travellers' photos on Trip Advisor so I am hoping there is someone out there who could steer me in the right direction or offer first-hand experience of available accommodation.

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Kastro
Kastro
449 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Castro Residence
Castro Residence
4 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Iliada Studios
Iliada Studios
51 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Chateau Zevgoli
Chateau Zevgoli
99 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in the historical centre of Naxos

Hi, I should have mentioned that my budget is approximately Euro 100 - 150 per night for the two of us.

Hopefully that might narrow things down a bit!!!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,679 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in the historical centre of Naxos

Hi,

I have never stayed in the Old Town mtyself, byt I have heard good reviews of places like Anixis, Chateau Zevgoli and Panorama - all depending upon your budget.

www.naxos-hotels.com/hotels-naxosoldtown.html

Obviously, you are aware that the Old Town is made up by narrow cobbled str4eets, lots of steps and alleyways - all meant to avoid pirate attacks and their navigation in town if entering inside the Kastro area.

If you don't find any appropriate reviews on this site, try to google the hotels and see what comes up. Others who have stayed there may also give a response to your post here.

Mentioned in this post
Old Town
Old Town
1,656 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Chateau Zevgoli
Chateau Zevgoli
99 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Kastro
Kastro
449 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in the historical centre of Naxos

I haven't stayed in Katro accommodation either, although I would very much like to one day. I think that if I did, I would definitely prefer a view, as those pathways in the Kastro, however picturesque,are very narrow, and it would be a shame knowing you are located on a high altitude with the beautiful Aegean sea at your feet, without seeing it! In late September, and on that budget, you might be able to afford the suite at the Chateau Zevgoli,or take your pick for a seaview room at the Anixis {half of them have seaviews}. If I am not mistaken Castro residence and Venetiko do not offer sea views, whilst Iliada studios are located on the outskirts towards Grotta. I don't know the Kelia apts, there are also these...

http://www.bourgos-studios.gr/ but I think your time frame and budget will probably give you the very best the Kastro has to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Kastro
Kastro
449 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Chateau Zevgoli
Chateau Zevgoli
99 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in the historical centre of Naxos

Thanks Dianabiz and Greektraveller - its hard to know which way to go. After your replies I started thinking that perhaps we should stay nearer the beachfront but still close enough to walk to the old town part and enjoy the steps and maze-like streets without having to cope with it all throughout our stay. But that then opens up the question of where to stay - which beach area is picturesque without being full of tourists, close to the centre for buses for island sight-seeing, close to restaurants serving Greek food which is reasonably authentic, etc etc!!!!!

You see my problem?

I would ideally like to feel that we're staying in a 'Greek' hotel ( with modern facilities) rather than a standard modern hotel room.

Any help/advice is most appreciated.

Thank you.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in the historical centre of Naxos

In the past I've stayed up in the Kastro area at Hotel Panorama, which has lovely balcony views over the port -- but it IS bumpy going, to bump your rolling bag up those stairstep lanes. I have also stayed at Hotel Grotta & Iliada studios, and they are up a steep hill, not well-lit, a bit of a challenge after a late dinner.

I would suggest that, in Late September, you should stay in the St. George Beach area, at the end of the Beach that is closest to Naxos Town. Thus you have the best of both worlds ... you can get a room with a beach view, yet it's an easy LEVEL stroll to the attractions of Naxos Town. I've stayed there on my last 3 visits.

Hotels to consider would be Hotel Glaros or Hotel Galini, or Hotel St. George or Hotel Asteria. These are all family-run hotels right on the beach, at the end toward the town. All rooms would have balconies, most of them with sea views -- you should specify that you definitely want a beach view.

The bathrooms are modern -- I think you should be specific about your shower needs. Do you require a separate shower STALL, or is it sufficient to have a shower with an ample curtain and a low ledge around the footing?

If you google these hotels, they all have websites with good pictures. I suggest that, rather than filling out a website FORM, you use their e-mail address to write them an e-mail with full details, including whether you want a double bed or 2 singles side by side (the more usual arrangement). Since u will be a bit off-season, you might even request a specific room shown on the website (for instance, Hotel Glaros' top floor rooms are larger, with the best balcony view, for a bit higher price, but NOT NEARLY the budget you quote).

Best wishes for a wonderful stay... I just got back from greece; I was booked for 4 nights but stayed 9. Naxos does that to you! --- TJ

Mentioned in this post
Kastro
Kastro
449 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Panorama Hotel
Panorama Hotel
128 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Hotel Galini
Hotel Galini
360 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Hotel Asteria
Hotel Asteria
83 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in the historical centre of Naxos

Thanks Travellerjan - your reply has made me consider the St George area - it seems to offer a wider range of accommodation and is still near the old town area.

I wonder if I can also ask you, and anyone else who cares to comment, about my holiday plans.

We have a total of 22 nights for our holiday and my general plan is this - Arrive Athens and leave by ferry that night for Crete (5 nights in Rethymnon - Hotel Leo), ferry to Rhodes (3 nights), ferry to Santorini (3 nights Oia), ferry to Naxos (3 nights), ferry to Athens (2 nights), overnight train to Istanbul (4 nights) - our departure point is Istanbul -and back to Australia.

we hope to catch fast ferries or hydrofoils - I prefer not to fly! Am I right in assuming that there will be fast ferry connections between Crete and Rhodes and Rhodes and Santorini every day? Or will the travelling time make us lose a day of our holiday?

I know we're not spending a lot of time anywhere and want to relax as well as sight-see.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in the historical centre of Naxos

Your big hitch, Mezzie, is that Crete - Rhodes Connection. Even in HIGH season, few, and in SEpt 2x week and takes 12 HOURS from Heraklion to Rhodes Town Tues 5:30 AM - 5:30 pm & Sat 11:20 AM - 11:20 pm. Yes, a full day. Despite your pref. not to fly, Would advise to take SKY EXPRESS ... 1 hr Herak-Rhodes. NOTE: small planes and severe baggage limits 12.5 Kg excess weight is 3€ per Kg.

FRom Rhodes to Santorini, luckily there are some night ferries (Blue star & Anek) so u can travel as u sleep) -- in hi season i was nightly but now not as often. You have to plan.

Santorini - Naxos; a choice of ferries.

The main (and best ferry) from Naxos to Piraeus is Blue Star; it takes 5 hours. The 9:45am sailing cuts up a whole day, but you can get a full day in Naxos by taking the 6:30pm (18:30) eating on board, watch sunset, snooze indoors and get to Piraeus around midnight.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,346 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels in the historical centre of Naxos

I have just a couple of thoughts.

Do you really want to spend all that time in the air from Australia and then catch a ferry to Crete the night of your arrival. My commute from the west coast of North Ameeica is well over 24 hours and we are pretty much done when we arrive. Your trip will be longer. A night in Athns gets us into local time and helps jet lag.

Ferry connections sometimes are most efficient within Island groups. Thus your excursion to Rhodos might be a bit too far. You could use those days to stay in Athens that first night and then add a day to Santorini and Naxos.

I have to admit a personal bias here but I think Chania on Crete is really special. We spent two nights at Rethymmnon and 4 in Chania and wished we had spent more in Chania.

Other than that your have chosen highlights and have allowed sufficient time to get to know the places you have chosen to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels in the historical centre of Naxos

Thanks Jan and Stan - your replies have made me re-think my itinerary. It was probably a bit too ambitious and was going to be the cause of stress in trying to tie it all up!!!!

Based on what you both have said I'll be removing Rhodes from my plans (maybe another year!) and since we've only booked the first 5 nights at Rethymnon we'll just play it by ear and keep places like Chania in mind for extra time to explore another area of Crete.

I know we're not staying overnight in Athens on our arrival but I intend to book a hotel room for the day of our arrival except that we'll catch the late night ferry to Crete (arriving at dawn) and hopefully sleep in the cabin berths that we book on arrival earlier that day.

We intend to take a laptop and mobile phone with us ( buying a SIM card in Greece) and contact our selected hotels a day or so before our arrival. I'm hoping that there will be vacancies in the places we've ear-marked and that we won't end up in some rat-hole! I was told by a neighbour that accommodation shouldn't be a problem in late September so am trying to be open and flexible in our schedules.

I'm really looking forward to this trip - it was unexpectedly booked when airfares had a huge drop! I'm starting a 6-week Greek language class next week so its all starting to become a bit more real now.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the area with me - it has been much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,346 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels in the historical centre of Naxos

It sounds like a wonderful holiday.

You are right you will not have much problem finding accommodation on a walk up basis in late Sept.

I have some pictures of Chania and Rethymnon.

Rethymnon

travel.webshots.com/album/571201262gkttqw

Chania

travel.webshots.com/album/571195659jPcKjK

Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town