We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is naxos a quiet island?

Which Naxos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
greece
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
is naxos a quiet island?

hi.i dont know where to go for vacations maby in august.i will go with my boyfriend so we want a quiet vacations,but with beatiful and clean beaches.is naxos reccomended for quiet vacations we dont care about the nightlife and what about the beaches?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,099 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is naxos a quiet island?

I certainly would not say it's quiet. There are a lot of nightclubs and music bars in Naxos town. It is very touristy now and August is obviously the noisiest period.

The beaches are quite extensive and extend for many kilometres south of town. There is a lot of slow development behind which is gradually making the area busier with every year. Probably the best area to stay if you want it quiet, however there's no character to the resorts.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is naxos a quiet island?

No island with beautiful beaches will be quiet in August, but Naxos has one blessing: no international airport. Even the busiest islands have quieter locations, e.g. Moutsouna on Naxos: http://www.ostria.com/

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: is naxos a quiet island?

Anything but quiet in August. If you want to get some solitude then consider staying from Plaka beach onwards.Don't consider Mikri Vigla though. It gets packed with the windsurfers, as it's meltemia wind season, {perfect for windsurfers}.However the interior villages are quite traditional, and have little if any tourist facilities, if you would prefer to concentrate your time here as well as combining an outer beach stay,

My advice is to go here for a few days, a short ferry ride from Naxos for solitude, and combine with a Naxos stay, for culture,

greeka.com/cyclades/…donoussa-beaches.htm

Schinoussa, next to Donoussa, also recommended, but Koufounissia is definitely OUT.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,107 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is naxos a quiet island?

There are even more beaches south of Mikri Vigla. Even though these photos are from October last year (out of season) they should give an impression. Why not consider Kastraki, Alyko or Prigaki ?

http://tinyurl.com/b2srn7

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is naxos a quiet island?

Sandra, Greek-traveller has good suggestions, of going even farther down than Mikra Vigli ... if you want true quiet.

However, do be aware of a couple of things: (1) if you want an uncrowded beach like that, you will have to do without sunbeds or umbrellas, and (2) you probably will have to rent your own transportation -- 4 wheeler or jeep. And you will have to go some distance for cafes, groceries, and tavernas for dinner.

I only say this because many people have contradictory wishes: they want all the advantages (beautiful sand, lovely cafes, easy access) but at the same time, they want -- no other people!

6. Re: is naxos a quiet island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, November 09, 2009