We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St George beach Naxos-good for swimming? public transport

Which Naxos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
northcote australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Topic
St George beach Naxos-good for swimming? public transport

Hi all

Am about to decide on a booking for Naxos and as a daily swim is part of life for me I wonder whether the sea is good for swimming-not just playing I mean!

Also keen to know whether a 2 week stay in Naxos would be overdoing it and travelling to stay on another island would good for say 6 of the 14 days.

We enjoy walking, swimming!! natural environment and cultural explorations as well as just soaking up the ambience.

Another question-is the public transport good to most of the villages from (C)hora? (capital of Naxos)?

Thanks for any suggestions info advice!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
6,969 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St George beach Naxos-good for swimming? public transport

Hi Nicki,

The water is crystal clear, and warm enough for comfortable swimming from mid-June through into the Autumn. You can swim earlier than that if you don't mind brisk sea temperatures.

St George beach is okay, but Plaka and Agios Prokopios much better. There are frequent buses from Naxos Town, so it is best, IMO, to stay in town and take the 15 min ride to the beach. Naxos has good bus service to all the inland villages as well. :o)

North wales
Level Contributor
16 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St George beach Naxos-good for swimming? public transport

Hi Nicki I think you have picked a lovely Island and when my husband and I have been, we swim every day twice and three times maybe, It is an amazing island with every beach better than the first! Really Enjoy your self and no In my opinion (although you might guess I am a bit biased !) 2 weeks is not too long although I love visiting Paros too but I always come back to Naxos !

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St George beach Naxos-good for swimming? public transport

Glad to see another recruit for the joys of Naxos! But NICK, you fail to tell us WHEN you plan to be there??? It does make a difference in our advice -- so don't make us guess. Here are my comment on your multiple questions:

HOTEL LOCALE: Several reasons to stay @ St George.

(1) You are coming EARLY in the off-season yet want to swim (i.e., before mid-May, late-may). St. George is shallow, so it warms up earlier (tho u have to wade out about 100 metres to get waist-high).

(2) you want to minimize car rental/bus/taxi use. At St. G you can stroll in a few minutes to Naxos Town (Chora) for shops, cafes, museum, sights, and stroll back after a late evening meal, without having to take a bus, a taxi or drive... and if you are coming in warmer weather & want to swim at deeper beaches, busses take only 10-15 mins to Ag.Prokopios, Ag Anna, Plaka and they go every 30 minutes until about 2300 (11pm).

(3)You are coming Mid-Sept or later; by that time the other places, which are really just little beach towns, are being to close down, and only a few shops or tavernas (restaurants) still open... so u would want to stay near Naxos Town.

NOTE --IF you come in July/August St. George Beach is very crowded & not as clean, and would strongly recommend staying at AG. Anna, Plaka or Mikra Vigla. Avoid anything that calls itself "stelida"... not convenient location.

HIKING -- Naxos is one of BEST Cycladic Isles for hiking in fact a Belgian nut has devoted his life to desribing hikes,here's his Naxos list - http://www.cycladen.be/NaxosEng.htm

VILLAGES/BUSSES - Good network going out to hill villages, not too frequent, geared more to local workers; typical is out in AM, then only 1 every 3 hours until about 4:30. Time it right, you can bus out to an area, hike & picnic, and flag down a late-day bus to get back to Naxos town.

EXPLORING since Naxos is such a large island, and fertile & green, it isn't all tourisized -- 10Km inland, they're doing their farm thing. One May i sat on a fence for 30 minutes watching a man shear his sheep. In the villages, cafes are all locals, playing dominoes. A 1-day car rental will let u explore entire isle -- ruins, statues in orchards, marble quarries, Venetian towers more more more.

OTHER ISLES - Paros & Naxos are unique in the Cyclades, in that they have 2-3 1-day "cruise excursions" that enable you to sample other isles. #1- to Santorini gives you 6 hrs on the island & a bus gives u transport ON the island; #2 gives you 3.5 hours on Sacred Isle of Delos, then 3-4 hours on Mykonos. A 3rd excursion goes to 2 small nearby islets, really a "beach day." You can sign up the day before at Naxos town harborside - friends recommend the boat Alexandros as being bigger and a smoother ride.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St George beach Naxos-good for swimming? public transport

St George Beach is very shallow so it tends to be a bit warmer than the West Coast beaches mentioned earlier. I do agree however that for a full beach day we always go out to the West Coast Beaches.

The great thing about St George is it is so close to town that you can do your daily marketing, explore the maze of little alleys in Chora, buy a loaf of bread from a wood fired oven in the old market area and stroll back to your hotel room and have a couple of hours at the beach for that daily swim.

Bus transportation is inexpensive, reliable, regular and the buses are modern and air conditioned.

We have stayed in Naxos for two two week periods and for a week on 4 other trips. We keep finding something new that we never discovered before.

We like to really explore on location and get to know it very well which we have done on Naxos.

There are day tours from Naxos to Delos and Mykonos as well as Santorini.

The great thing about the Cyclades Islands is if you feel you have done an island then you can hop a ferry and head out to another Island.

A good choice to contrast with Naxos is Santroini. Yes I know it is very touristy but that caldera view is captivating.

I find Santorini to be more expensive than Naxos so we tend to do just a couple of days there but it is a good option for a second island.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St George beach Naxos-good for swimming? public transport

Hey Jan we posted at the same time with essentially the same message.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,671 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St George beach Naxos-good for swimming? public transport

From your former postings I see that you plan to come in June. St. George should be fine at that time of year.

I sent you some links to albums in your former post to show you what the different beaches are like.

I also second all descriptions and recommendations given by TJ and Stanbr.

northcote australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St George beach Naxos-good for swimming? public transport

TravellerJan

Thank you for your generous and detailed reply. We are coming last week of june for 2 weeks. Wonder whether the last week should be spent elsewhere at one of the other beaches you mention. Thing is transport to travel to other places may be more limited from these. Mikri Vigla has some appeal although I get a sense it is a very small place. So maybe a week in St George and then off to a quieter spot is the go.

Thanks for the info re transport too. Most appreciated!

Nicki24

northcote australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: St George beach Naxos-good for swimming? public transport

Hi Greektravller

Yes it is June-looks like we will be in Athens for up to a week 15-23rd so now madly internetting and reading about places to stay and visit in Athens. I'd frankly prefer to give the big A a miss but my partner is keen that we actually do something while there. And fair enough too..but my lust has been for the Greek Islands for many, many years and now I just can't wait.

Enjoyed your photos so much by the way-I forget whether I sent you a 'thank you'. A 4 month trip has soo much planning and detail to consider it all goes in a bit of a blur. But again, Thanks

Nicki24

PS Any hints on Athens also gratefully received from anyone. I've heard Meteora is a must and of course the ruins..

northcote australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: St George beach Naxos-good for swimming? public transport

Thanks all you wonderful people taking time to respond. It has helped greatly confirm our choice of Naxos. Now just the fine tuning...

Nicki24

10. Re: St George beach Naxos-good for swimming? public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 18, 2009