We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naxos day trip recommendations + dining

Which Naxos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Naxos day trip recommendations + dining

Hello,

Planning to spend 5 nights on Naxos in September. Not sure where I will pick to stay yet. but wanted some recommendations of favourite resaurants and places to visit. Also curious if a car is needed that whole time, or if bus works better.

Thanks!

Xanthi
Level Contributor
52 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naxos day trip recommendations + dining

I visited Naxos at July 2004, I remember a nice pizza restaurant in a neoclassical building over the main road at the port. Don't miss the waffle's house, their waffles mixed with fresh fruits are delightful. Buses cover the west coast beaches of the island, these are Agios Prokopios to Plaka. If you want to visit the inland part which is not touristic you will need a car. Also the distances are quite long, the tour of the island is more than 100km. Also the wilder east coast beaches are also good but only reached with car. Renting a car at least in 2004 was affordable in comparison with other Greek island. Enjoy the sandy beaches of Naxos a surfer's paradise. hint there are also some beaches offered for nudism.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naxos day trip recommendations + dining

If staying in St. George Beach area as earlier posts indicated, u will need car only for a day of touring around the island. Otherwise, bus gets you to all the other beaches in 15 minutes for about 1.2E.

In Sept u should be able to get a small car for around 30-35E. Have the rental agency mark the map for island highlights (1) newly-opened archaic temple of Demeter near Ano Sangri (2)Chalki & its 19thC kitron distillery, (3) Filoti, lovely Mt village, (4) high hamlet of APiranthos, w. marble streets (5) near Moni Panayia Drossiana, teensy 6thC church size of a garage, (6) on way back, a kouros in a Melanes orchard and (7) Nearby, a marble- cutting factory (rejected tiles all over the ground--souvenirs!!).

RESTAURANTS: Our fave is TO KASTRO, near top of town with tables overlooking the town (use town map, have your hotelier mark the pathways up to it). On harbor, my standby for inexpensive reliable taverna fare is "THE GOOD HEART" (look for heart on the sign).

3. Re: Naxos day trip recommendations + dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, September 16, 2009