We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in May

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in May

Is the weather in Naxos in early May warm enough to spend time on the beach?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in May

Hi, April!

I just clicked on your name and see that you went to Hawaii last year ... and no, Greek waters in early may are not like Maui!

That being said, yes, you CAN enjoy sunbathing on the beach in May -- I have been to Naxos 7 times since 1999 (it's my favorite island), and 6 times have been in May, sometimes early. And Naxos has the BEST string of golden-sand beaches in the Cyclades ... more than 10 miles in a row, five or 6 loooong beaches to enjoy.

May is actually an IDEAL time to visit ---everything's open nothing is crowded, the island is green green green after the winter rains, with flowers everywhere -- hoteliers and shop folk are relaxed & have time to chat (Greeks LOOVE to schmooze).

AND you can even swim... the beach closest to town is St. George -- and it is quite shallow going in (you have to wade out about 200 feet to get in waist-high, then it goes deep)... Thus the sun warms it up. I have swum as early as May 10 in St. George.

In fact, I recommend that you look at lodgings on St. George (Ag. Giorgios) beach. Reason? It is only a 5-10 minute walk to the harborside crescent of cafes & restaurants & shops of Naxos town. Thus you can WALK to all the towns attractions and to a vast choice of tavernas for dinner, and walk back. Thus no need for rental car for your entire stay, just by the day when/if you want to explore the whole island... which is fascinating.

There are many family-run hotels/pensions right on the sand at St. George ... in May they seem to attract mainly Scandinavian couples. There are lots of naked blonde tots running around building sand castles; their parents don't seem to worry about sunburn at all!

You can easily reach the other beaches frorm Naxos town in 15 minutes via busses that go every 30 minutes. I love Plaka and Ag Anna beaches too ... only drawback is that you're either tied to the bus system or must rent car for whole stay. They're fine for sun bathing-- just that the water is still quite a chill before May 20 or so.

Of course u can also reach the

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in May

Thanks, travelerjan! Your reply was very helpful! Sounds like a great island! We are very excited!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in May

Naxos is a great island, and I completely agree with travelerjan that May is an ideal time to visit. We've been there twice before in May and had wonderful weather both trips, but we found the sea water still too cool for swimming (even though we were on Naxos during a heat wave in mid May of last year, I found it too chilly to get deeper than my knees in the water). The weather is perfect, though, for suntanning and beach time.

Just wanted to mention a fun option to consider -- besides local buses and rental cars -- for visiting that long stretch of gorgeous sandy beaches on the west coast of the island: mountain bikes. They're fairly cheap to rent on Naxos and they make it relatively easy and fast to get from the Naxos Town area to all the main beaches, from Agios Prokopios to Agia Anna, Plaka, Mikri Vigla and beyond. There's one long, main hill you must cycle up and over to reach the beaches from the Town (and of course ride once again on the way back), but it's not a difficult trek if you're in shape or ride a bike regularly. Paved and firmly-packed dirt roads run either right next to or very close to the beaches all along the coast, and they're fairly flat, so it's easy to ride from one beach to the next. Cycling is a great way to get some sun and enjoy the Naxos coast and countryside, but be sure to rent a car at least one day to visit the scenic mountain villages and tour the island. Some of the main car rental agencies rent out bikes; your hotel probably will have flyers or brochures with further information, or else will be able to contact a rental office for you (some Naxos hotels even have bikes available for guests to use). We rented bikes last year from MotoPower in the Agios Prokopios area, but rented previously from Motonaxos, which has offices in Naxos Town but would deliver bikes directly to hotels and pick them up when customers were finished.

If you'd like to see hundreds of pics of those beautiful Naxos beaches, as well as Naxos Town and other Naxos sites, feel free to check out my online photo albums at the following link: http://community.webshots.com/user/donnyb1507 The Naxos photos are in my Greece 2006 and Greece 2005 collections.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in May

Donnyb- your photos are fantastic! thanks! seems like you have been to several Greek islands. We were planning on Santorini and Naxos--are those good selections based on the places that you have been? thanks for the help!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in May

Thanks, I'm happy you liked the photos! Santorini and Naxos are indeed good selections; Santorini can be very touristy and pricey, but has spectacular, breathtaking scenery and lots to see and do -- everything from dining and shopping to winery tours, hiking, volcano tours, sailboat excursions and more. Naxos is less touristy and easier on the pocketbook, is more laid back and relaxed, and offers amazing beaches plus great scenery and good dining options. I think they make a good combination of islands to visit on the same trip, though I have found every island to be worth visiting. (We just got back from first-time visits to Milos, Sifnos and Folegandros and I would highly recommend them, too -- and will be uploading hundreds of pics from those islands over the next couple of weeks). My personal favourite is Naxos, but like many other North Americans who have visited the Cyclades, I'd definitely rank Santorini as a "must see."

6. Re: Weather in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:25 am, September 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town