We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhine Tour from Frankfurt Airport

Which Bacharach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Rhine Tour from Frankfurt Airport

After studying books and boat and train schedules for several days, I am now confused about the best thing to do with 3 days, 3 nights in the Rhine area.

Arriving Frankfurt Airport around 8 am from U.S. Planning to take train to Bingen - or Boppard? -- have lunch and then take KD Boat to Bacharach where I am in the process of making reservations at the Kranenturn Hotel for one night - to enjoy the town and the wine.

I am not sure we will have enough time to make the 11:30 boat at Bingen which only goes to Boppard which is why I am thinking maybe we should just go to Boppard by train directly, have lunch and take the later KD boat to Bacharach. Or is lunch in Bingen a pleasant thing to do?

The next day we were planning to take the boat to St. Goar, see the Rheinfels castle, and then take the train to Cochem to stay overnight. The last day we were planning to spend the day doing the (difficult I understand but well worth it) trip by train to Moselkern and then hike up to Burg Eltz (unless we can get some public transportation somehow from Cochem). The next day we take the train from Cochem to Bamberg.

But reading your forums -- I now see that several people advised going to Braubach instead of St. Goar and seeing their castle. But I don't know if we can get a train that runs often from there on the other side of the river to Cochem (via Koblentz).

We are planning to buy a Germany Railpass and also am not sure whether the local regional trains are covered or only DB trains. If not, it is not worth the extra cost for an extra day for the Bacharach-Cochem trip (although with the Twin pass it may be worth it).

Any suggestions for our itinerary are welcome!

I know, these are a lot of questions. But I am so confused now and we are leaving May 3 so time is running out! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,164 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhine Tour from Frankfurt Airport

Why not traveling by train to Bacharach, store your luggage at your hotel and than by boat from Bacharach to Boppard. This includes the most scenic part of the Rhine Valley. Return by train.

Moselkern train station to Eltz Castle is a nearly 5 km hike. But an easy one along the Elz creek. Altitude difference is just 50 meters - which is not much over this distance. That it's "difficult" was by a poster who parked at the Müden car park which is on one of the surrounding hills. From there it's a steep and rocky path.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhine Tour from Frankfurt Airport

Don't cruise from north to south - takes too long to move upstream.

There are no lockers in St. Goar for y your bags on Day 2.

I suggest this:

Day 1: Trainto Bacharach, drop bags at Boppard. Train back south to St. Goar for rheinfels. Train to Bacharach.

Day 2: train to Koblenz. Stow bags in lccker, get train to Braubach for Marksburg Castle. Train back to Koblenz for bags on way to Cochem.

Day 3: Day trip to Burg Eltz (easy walf from Moselkern)

bensbauernhof.com/burgeltzfrommoselkern.html

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhine Tour from Frankfurt Airport

Burg Eltz is one of the rare castles to visit where you don't have to hike up...from Moselkern, as mentioned above. It is nestled in a charming little valley and the approach across a stone bridge is very scenic.

Many years ago, before it was "discovered" by Rick Steves, I would ride there on horseback with relatives who had a farm in the area. We never saw the interior, but would ride on up a path to another castle, Burg Pyrmont, or to Pyrmont Muehle, both of which have a restaurant for lunch and wine, or we would picnic at a lookout above the castle.

There are signed footpaths to these places if you don't mind a hike (uphill)around the area, which is still quite rural and un-touristed.

Edited: 11:33 am, April 13, 2012
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhine Tour from Frankfurt Airport

Re: Rheinfels (St Goar) or Marksburg (Braubach), the Rheinfels is ruins whilst the Marksburg, to my understanding, is intact so you may want to plan according to which you'd prefer. We only went to Rheinfels when we were there (last week!) and enjoyed it, but it may be up to your schedule and preference.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhine Tour from Frankfurt Airport

Thank you all! Great suggestions.

So Frankfurt-Bacharach (drop bags), boat to Boppard and train back to Bacharach with stop at St. Goar if enough energy.

Then next day either

a. St. Goar (leaving backs at TI office which I checked is possible) and then to Cochem via Koblenz

or

b. train to Koblenz, store bags, train to Braubach to see castle and then back to Koblenz and Cochem.

The next day is Burg Eltz. I checked and it looks like the roundtrip is 8.1 Euros from Cochem to Moselkern which seems reasonable. We will have a 5 day German railpass so figuring out which days it makes sense to use it.

First day and second day and then fourth day when leaving Cochem for Bamberg (where we have friends).

Thanks everyone!

6. Re: Rhine Tour from Frankfurt Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 01, 2013