We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting newport, looking for a good bar

Logan, Utah
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
visiting newport, looking for a good bar

Hello all. I wil be in Newport News soon and have a few questions. Is it easy to walk around in? Is it safe at night? I heard cheddars and rocky mount bbq house were good. What do you think? What should I expect. Thanks!!

Virginia Living Museum
Science Museums, Observatories & Planetariums, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Aquariums
Newport News Park
Parks, Biking Trails
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting newport, looking for a good bar

Newport News is a big sprawling city, not very walkable. There are many areas that are NOT safe to walk around at night. City Center at Oyster Point will be a good area. It has a couple pubs. Patrick Henry Mall also has some pub/grill/bar places that would be safe.

Mentioned in this post
Patrick Henry Mall
Patrick Henry Mall
12 Reviews
Newport News, VA
Logan, Utah
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting newport, looking for a good bar

thank you! I am staying across from Henry's Mall, so I will probably just stick around there at night. I appreciate the advice, I dont want to be mugged.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
150 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting newport, looking for a good bar

My wife was born and raised in Newport News. In the Patrick Henry Mall area, we go to Bailey's Pub & Grill to meet up with old friends. (foxandhound.com/locations/newport-news.aspx) It's a pretty big bar. It's a nice place to go if you want to catch a sporting event on TV. I think there are some pool tables there as well.

Another place that we really like is Keagan's Restaurant, an Irish themed establishment about 1.5 miles away from the Patrick Henry Mall. (www.keagans.com).

Mentioned in this post
Patrick Henry Mall
Patrick Henry Mall
12 Reviews
Newport News, VA
4. Re: visiting newport, looking for a good bar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 04, 2011