We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport News/ Hampton Inn & Suites OysterPoint

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Newport News/ Hampton Inn & Suites OysterPoint

Hi, My family and I are planning a trip to Williamsburg, and decided to stay In Newport News and Drive to the Attractions such as Colonial Williamsburg, Busch gardens/ water Country, Kings Dominion etc, We got a great triple A Deal At the hampton Inn & Suites On Jefferson Ave. The Number of Reviews on Tripadvisor are limited however; Is anyone familiar with this hotel? and is this a good choice for a home base to visit Williamsburg for a week? Thanks in advance for your insights/tips.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newport News/ Hampton Inn & Suites OysterPoint

I don't have experience at the Hampton Inn but I do know where it is located. You will be 30-40 minutes or so from BG/WC & CW and about 2 hours to KD. Traffic can be quite heavy on I64 and the area surrounding your hotel so try to travel outside of rush hours. The J Clyde Morris exit area (near the Oyster Point exit) unfortunately has frequent accidents so use caution. You will be about 10 minutes from the Mariners' Museum which contains the USS Monitor Center, don't miss it! If you like a nice hike, the museum grounds have a beautiful 5 mile walk around Lake Maury and the trail is well maintained. If you have time, you may also consider a trip to Norfolk (avoid Friday, Sat & Sun due to tunnel traffic unless traveling early or late). The Ocean View beach section of Norfolk (just through the tunnel) has Friday and Sunday concerts, and downtown Norfolk at Town Point Park on the waterfront has concerts for schedules check www.festeventsva.org Also downtown has USS Wisconsin Battleship (free) and offers boat tours of the Naval Base (fee). If you make it to Virginia Beach check www.beachstreetusa.com for schdeule of concerts along the boardwalk. Check out Hampton attractions especially the Air & Space Museum only 15 minutes from your hotel. Hope this helps. Post again if you need more details. Good Luck.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newport News/ Hampton Inn & Suites OysterPoint

Thank you very much, I'm especially greatfull for the info on the traffic/ accidents etc. We do plan to visit VB. I was unaware of the distance to Kings Dominion, that really helps in preparing for the trip. One of my children will be celebrating a birthday while we are there, I was thinking of making a reservation at Christiana Campbell's Tavern at CW ; are there any other good places around to celebrate her birthday?. I am also planning to vist the Virginia Living Museum and the Children's Musuem. We will be vacationing for 8 Days. Are these good choices? Our children vary in age from 4 -13. Which family -friendly hotels in Newport News would you recommend?

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Newport News/ Hampton Inn & Suites OysterPoint

The Hilton Garden Inn is nice. It's located right at the Victory Blvd Exit (256?) in Newport News. It has clean rooms, a pool, full breakfast. The grocery store, movie theater, Starbucks and a shopping center with numerous fast food places are all across the parking lot. We've stayed there a couple of times.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newport News/ Hampton Inn & Suites OysterPoint

Many Thanks, starbucks nearby is a definite plus!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newport News/ Hampton Inn & Suites OysterPoint

Having 8 days for your vacation will give you the opportunity to experience many of the great attractions in this area. How old is your child that is having a birthday? Boy or Girl? What month are you visiting? I'll do a little research and get back to you with some more ideas.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newport News/ Hampton Inn & Suites OysterPoint

Thank you so much, My daughter will turn 13 yrs old while we are in Newport News, I sincerely appreciate all your tips and suggestions.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newport News/ Hampton Inn & Suites OysterPoint

We will be visiting in early August '07

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newport News/ Hampton Inn & Suites OysterPoint

Here are a few ideas, comments, opinions:

Hampton Inn or other hotel in the area you mentioned are fine for visiting Williamsburg, CW, BG/WC and attractions (Va Living Museum is great) in Newport News, Hampton, Yorktown commonly called the Peninsula by locals (the other side of the tunnel, Norfolk, Va Beach etc is the Southside). Consider, if possible, a night or two at the oceanfront in Va Beach; that way you could spend a day and evening at the beach and a day in downtown Norfolk and not have to fight the traffic. If that is workable for you go to the Va Beach Tripadvisor hotels and forums site. The overview section will explain wonderfully how the beach is set up, for example there is a boardwalk from 3rd St (south) to 39th St (north), I prefer north, nicer, quieter. The birthday girl might enjoy a day at the beach, checking out shops on Atlantic Ave, listening to free live music at night and maybe a surf lesson, see www.17thst.com/surfcamp.html (don't worry our waves are tiny); or go ocean kayaking, www.wildriveroutfitters.com and paddle with the dolphins. Va Marine Science Museum is great but if good weather stay outside, plus it's pricey.

Popular reasonably priced hotels on the beach are EconoLodge and Belvedere, check hotel tab and forums for more. Even if you can't move your base camp a trip to the Southside would be nice. In downtown Norfolk, walk the riverfront (Elizabeth River, working harbor very interesting), lunch at Waterside (shops and food on the river), visit the USS Wisconsin (neat, free, less than 30 min) and Nauticus Museum (OK, $7) (side by side) take a ferry ride across the river to Portsmouth ($1+) and walk to the Childrens' Museum (great), take a ride on the American Rover sailing ship ($30+-) or the Victory Rover to tour the Naval Base from the water or tour on the Carrie B paddle wheeler (cheapest bost excursion other than ferry under $10 person).

I think Boush Gardens is great (nice place to celebrate a birthday too); clean, shady areas, fun for all ages, plenty of stuff for under 10 crowd and plenty for older than 10 and a cool new coaster....King's Dominion is not a favorite of mine but lots of people love it, it has very little for over 10 crowd, lots for under 10, not so clean, not so shady (if any), it does include a water area but no comparison to Water Country, just OK, nice especially for kids. Use AAA discounts, brochures with coupons from AAA office, visitors guides, Sunny Days guide (Va Beach). I also suggest you post your original message in the Williamsburg forum, the local expert will likely respond and offer suggestions (ask about ideas for birthday). Hope this helps. Post if you have more questions. Enjoy your trip to Virginia.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newport News/ Hampton Inn & Suites OysterPoint

You are the best!!!, Thank you so much, I know we are going to enjoy our visit to VA. I plan to take your suggestion and post in the Williamsburg forum.

Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newport News/ Hampton Inn & Suites OysterPoint

Nice hotel......Right accross from the Mall with lots of places to dine surrounding. You are about 15-20 minutes from Busch Gardens and there are a lot of things to do in Newport News like the Mariners' Museum, Virginia Living Museum, City Center, Port Warwick & more. Stop at the Visitor Information Center exit 250B off I-64. Maps, Guides and coupons can be found for all there is to see and do in Williamsburg, Newport News, Hampton and all the surrounding area!