We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locations to stay in

Dublin
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Topic
Locations to stay in

I am Looking to travel to Ile De Re in June of this summer. Having never been there before I am not sure where to stay. Loix or Ste Marie de Re. We will be a family that will want to get to the beach easily hopefully by bike, but also be reasonably close to plenty of Restaurants. We have two houses picked but need to understand the areas better before we finally decide.

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locations to stay in

HI there, the Ile de Ré is so perfect for biking from camp to beach. The Island is criss crossed by cycle paths, details from the tourist office website below.

You will need to bear in mind a few of the towns are still having work to repair damage caused by tempete xynthia. Both Loix and Ste Marie are good but my preference is Ste Marie, for the restaurants and the beaches. Loix is on the north side and the beaches are not like the crashing waves you will find on the south side like at Ste Marie. The north side of the island is used to manufacture salt and for growing oysters, the south side has the atlantic beaches, although by bike all beaches are at hand.

Anyway we have a bike ride planned there tomorrow so I might be able to recommend a restaurant!

In the meantime heres the website http://www.iledere.com/

Sevenoaks Kent
Level Contributor
99 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Locations to stay in

Loix is very quite - there are only 2 restaurants and 1 bar. Shopping is limited and you have to bike a reasonable distance to get to St Martin or Ars.

If you want restaurants / markets - think about St Martin or La Flotte

If you want beaches consider Le Bois Plage or La Couarde.

Anywhere in the eastern half will be ideal for biking almost anywhere. Once you go beyond Ars you will find bike journeys longer and more tiring. Of course you may be just looking to relax.

If you are limited to Loix or St Marie I would chose the latter. Nice beaches, a couple of good restaurants - one is excellent, and easy to bike to La Flotte / St Martin etc.

Have a great stay.

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locations to stay in

Just had a run out to Loix, it is pretty little village worth a visit but as GaryJS says very quiet. Its in the heart of salt producing land therefore not much of a beach. I would go with Ste Marie based on your choice of two. We stopped off at Rivedoux Plage for lunch, at La Chaloupe de Rivedoux, been there before for mussels, and this time had squid andalucian style cooked perfectly. My husband had oysters as a starter from a grower just up the road called michael pey, he reckoned they were the best oysters he'd ever had.

Hope you have a lovely holiday

Dublin
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Locations to stay in

I have made my decision. It is the south of the island as this is what anyone who knows seems to agree on. I hope that the weather holds now and that ash from volcanoes doesn't affect things too much.

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Locations to stay in

I'd agree with your choice, plus you will be near enough to the bridge to get a bus over to visit La Rochelle for the day (if you are here in july or august the local bus company only charges 1.30 a fare each way). Have a great time, if you need any local info then please let me know!

london
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Locations to stay in

Can anyone please advise the best way to travel from La Rochelle airport and Ars en Re?

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Locations to stay in

the local bus network will get you there, although it could involve a change. I'll have look on the timetable and see if I can work it out, otherwise taxi or car hire are the other options

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Locations to stay in

the summer timetables are not available till some time in may, you will probably have to get an RTCR bus to Place de verdun, ligne 7, then a Mouettes bus, ligne 3 , but that may change by the time the new timetable comes out.

Bear in mind if you book a taxi, their charge may include the toll for the pont de Ré, as taxis must pay each time the go to the island, although it is usually at the "abonnement" rate.

london
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Locations to stay in

Many thanks for your help. Just one more question!! do you know how long the journey takes by bus. Thanks.

Sevenoaks Kent
Level Contributor
99 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Locations to stay in

Getting from the airport to the island is not a quick trip! You have to go back to La Rochelle centre and then catch a bus to the island. For some reason they do not run busses direct from the airport despite us pointing out this obvious miss. The journey time from la Rochelle to Ars will take a while especially if the bus route takes in all the villages. We spent an hour last autumn from the train station to La Flotte.

For a taxi you can avoid the toll fee if you prebook an island based taxi as they all have free passes. The La Rochelle taxis will add the toll charge of Eur 19 odd in summer. Try ilederelocation.com/services-ile-de-re/taxis…

Get answers to your questions about Ile de Re