We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Sancerre

los angeles
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Sancerre

Is it possible to visit the Sancerre area without renting a car? I do not drive manuals, and automatics seem to carry a luxury premium in France, not to mention the price of gas...

Thank you guys!

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Sancerre

The rail line runs on the east side of the River Loire, with a station at Tracy. It is about 5 miles across the river to Sancerre.

Sancerre is a smallish town set above the river plain. surrounded by rolling hills. I don't know the local public transport system here, but if busses are frequent, suit the times you want to travel, and go to all the places you want, it will be the only town of its kind in France.

If you simply want to do circular walks from Sancerre or nearby villages that may be possible.

You are travelling a long way to visit a particular town and a particular area. The most important consideration is that you actually see what you came to see. Saving a few euros and missing a lot of what you actually came here for is a false economy.

There is a lot of rural scenery to take in, and some unique interesting places to visit within 45min drive..........but without a car.......

los angeles
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Sancerre

Thank you very much!

After reading your post I went to the rental website and booked it! You were spot on! I go to France just about every year, and usually stay with family/friends in the south, and I cannot tell you how many times I left utterly frustrated about having to depend on trains.

Thanks again.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Sancerre

Here is the site showing the local bus service. As you can see it focuses almost entirely on Bourges and you would probably find the bus service as frustrating as the trains. Rural buses are primarily intended or students or workers who live in the small towns and villages but who need to get to the larger population centers for school or work. They really don't work well for tourists.

www.lignes18.fr/horaires/index.php?commune_id

I did not look for buses on the other side of the river but I suspect you would find much the same thing there, perhaps with Nevers being the focus.

I think renting a car was the right answer.

At least there is public transport in the countryside in France, more than you can say for most of north America...

4. Re: 3 days in Sancerre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 16, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Sancerre
More Sancerre Topics