We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking from Reutte/Pinswang

Naples, FL
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Hiking from Reutte/Pinswang

We want to stay in Pinswang and hike over to the Ludwig castles, but don't necessarily want to hike back to the hotel. Any suggestions on how to get back? Are there taxis available in the area? Thanks

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,533 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking from Reutte/Pinswang

As far as I know, there is a bus running between Füssen and Austria, but throughly check the timetable beforehand.

Network Map:

rvo-bus.de/site/…liniennetz__ovg.pdf

Timetable of bus route #74:

rvo-bus.de/site/…74.pdf

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking from Reutte/Pinswang

Have you seen this website? www.strictlyeurope.com/pdfs/Pinswang.pdf It says that the hike is about 1 1/2 hours long.

There are taxis in Fuessen/Nenuschwantsein and on the map it looks as if the trip is about 3km "as the crow flies". So a taxis shouldn't cost you "an arm and a leg", but I would defintley look also into the bus situation, as Mickey suggested.

That part of the Tirol/Allgaeu region is very pretty and makes for good hikes.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking from Reutte/Pinswang

I think the taxi return is your best option.

Perhaps a little longer than the 3 kilometer as mentioned above but much more convenient and with several traveling together not much more costly. By taxi no need to enter the center of Fussen ,a small road takes you around the town and almost directly to the border.

if my memory is correct, from the Ludwig castles you need to transfer by bus to Fussen and then onward. But stops are not convenient to Pinswang. They are on the other side of the river that runs by this area. No nearby bridge to cross , so you have an added walk especially depending on where you stay.

Just south of Reutte is an old castle formerly used to guard this pass- worth a visit witha small museum too.

If you happen to be driving at any time here, be very careful near to the border between Austria and Germany. The police often have radar in this area and speed limits vary.

Sometimes a police control too.

Naples, FL
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking from Reutte/Pinswang

Thank you so much for all of the great information. The websites are great. While we were wavering on the hike before (we are not huge hikers), we are definitely going to hike over to the castles now. Thanks again.

Tuckasegee, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking from Reutte/Pinswang

The hike sounded great to my wife and I as well. DO you know what hotel you will be staying at in Pinswang? Rick Steves recommends one in the area and discusses the hike over to the casles. We will be there the first week of July.

Naples, FL
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking from Reutte/Pinswang

We actually just got back yesterday from our trip and it was amazing. We stayed at Gasthof Zum Schluxen (from the Rick Steves book) and it was everything he describes and more. The room was fine and the staff was friendly. Its about 20 minute drive from Reutte and 10 minutes from Fussen. We actually wished we had planned some more time there to enjoy more hikes/biking. The "hike" over to the castles took us about 1.5 hours and it was well worth the effort. I put "hike" in quotations because it is actually a very well groomed path and is actually better described as a walk through the woods. The German section is actually paved. The first part is a moderate climb but it is all switchbacks so it is not too demanding. There are, however, several paths that venture off of this path that I would consider hiking paths and looked interesting. If you do walk over to the castles, make sure you have a number and some coins to call a taxi because they are not readily available (if you don't want to walk back.). Let me know if you want any more info as the trip is still extremely fresh in the memory.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking from Reutte/Pinswang

Several possible accomodations

Gasthof Säuling

www.gasthof-saeuling.com

Schluxen

www.schluxen.com

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking from Reutte/Pinswang

I'm so glad you enjoyed your hike/walk. That part of the Tirol/Allgaeu is great hiking country.

9. Re: Hiking from Reutte/Pinswang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:40 am, October 29, 2009