We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

19 yr old American female planning trip, need suggestions!

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Wayne...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
19 yr old American female planning trip, need suggestions!

Hi my name is Mary. I will be traveling alone to Nicaragua this summer, arriving in Managua around 2 pm July 28th. I am hoping to travel to Granada and see as much as possible before then traveling to San Juan Del Sur on July 31st. I know I only have a few days in the area but I hope to take tours and see as much as possible. I'm planning on traveling using shuttles or buses. I also am looking to spend limited amounts of money- hopefully no more than $50 a day. I am very interested in advice about safe, cheap hotels, the things I MUST see, the best tour guides, and ways to stay safe. Also I'm wondering if there are any other places between Granada and SJDS that I should stop by. I am open to all suggestions!! I hope to have a very concise itinerary established before my trip because I know that will make my parents feel more at ease.

Thanks in advance!

Mary

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 19 yr old American female planning trip, need suggestions!

What does $50 a day include?

Fort Wayne...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 19 yr old American female planning trip, need suggestions!

Well, hopefully food, transportation, lodgings, experiences, and a couple souvenirs. I'm okay spending a little more than that but I by no means need or expect five star accommodations.

D P
Big Corn Island...
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 19 yr old American female planning trip, need suggestions!

Hi Mary

Hotel El Carmen in Granada is a nice, inexpensive place to stay in Granada. Their rooms (with private bath) are $11.00 a night. The owners are very helpful and can help to coordinate transfers if necessary. We stayed there in September 2011 and enjoyed it. They are only a few minutes walk to central park and a located in a safe part of town.

Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 19 yr old American female planning trip, need suggestions!

My wife and I just spent nine days in Nicaragua and can provide some insight based on our experiences.

I would honestly skip Granada. We were robbed there in broad daylight in a major tourist area by the lake. We're both seasoned travelers having been to Africa, Mexico, South America, and Europe and have never felt as unsafe as we did in Granada. Street merchants are aggressive, bars cater to a tourist crowd and the police have problems. They wanted money to pursue the thieves who robbed us at knifepoint.

We still had a fine time in Nicaragua, I'd advise visiting Ometepe, the San Juan Del Sur area and if you'd like to visit a colonial city check out Leon- it is full of students and has a better, less touristy vibe. San Juan del Sur is heavily touristed, but it still has a laid back and safe feel unlike Granada.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 19 yr old American female planning trip, need suggestions!

"in a major tourist area by the lake" Can you be more specific please ---I know the lake are should be avoided at night but this is the first i have heard of a daytime problem.

"bars cater to a tourist crowd " on Calzada--sure--it's a tourist area.. I am sure you could find non tourist bars out of the tourist area.

"the police have problems" Imagine being a Granadian!

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 19 yr old American female planning trip, need suggestions!

If you are only going to Granada and SJDS you will be fine, this are the most touristic places in Nicaragua but always travel safe here i give you a list of things than can be useful. if need more help in planing a good time here let me know.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294477-c166600/Nicar…

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 19 yr old American female planning trip, need suggestions!

I never found the salespeople aggressive just not trained like a N American sales person might be, different culture. I stayed in Granada 3 weeks last November as I was taking intensive spanish. My host family was near the Xalteva church I loved heading down towards the Merced church area at night. the families and friends are all out there. That is not touristy however as you get to the Central Park it gets a bit touristy. However this is not touristy like Rome for example. I tell you I felt safer in Granada than Rome or Athens.

try to see as a living town not a tourist destination.

I liked it so much I am going back next year but when you stay with a family and stay outside the park, you can see it is a real community.

8. Re: 19 yr old American female planning trip, need suggestions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 pm, June 22, 2013