We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Managua Airport to Granada

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Managua Airport to Granada

I and 3 friends are flying into Managua on a Sunday. Our flight arrives at 5.35pm. I've read about Paxeos as a good shuttle service to Granada but when I look at their website it looks like they only go 4 times a day. I've read others say they will pick you up at any time after your flight. I looked at there website and don't see where I can put my flight information to have them pick us up. It would be 4 people so it is not a private trip. Does anyone know if they will arrange a specific time to pick up 4 people to drive to Managua? If not does anyone know an alternative that would get us there directly from the airport?

thanks so much for any info. It's our first visit to Nicaragua.

We also have a friend who is joining us a day later and will be traveling to Granada by herself. She will be arriving at 11;15 am, what would be a good choice for her,Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Managua Airport to Granada

I generally have my hotel arrange for a driver. This is usually about $40. If you are splitting it with other people it turns out to be less expensive than Paxeo.

Paxeo quotes $18 on their web site, but when I booked a shuttle ticket they changed it to $30. At that price it is worth the extra $10 to have a driver waiting for you at the exit with a sign with your name on it, and away you go.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Managua Airport to Granada

Your hotel in Granada should be able to arrange a driver.. but 4 people and luggage probably need a small van so let them know..

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Managua Airport to Granada

i have been using favio many times for tours around Nicaragua and is a reliable, Honest person he has a nice, clean, good condition, AC van his phone number is 0050588605362 give him your flight details and he can pick you up at the airport he normally will charge for a group of four $50 to $60 US Dollars.

Enjoy Nicaragua

Byron Ortega

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Managua Airport to Granada

We will be picking up our adult kinds from the Managua Airport at the end of January 2013.

If I was to travel from the airport to Granada alone with just a backpack, I would get to the Carretera Masaya and at any point on the road catch a chicken bus to Granada. These busses will have “Granada” signs and the conductor will be shouting “Granada-Granada bla-bla Granada!” at the pedestrians on the road. However, the busses get crowded, and I am not likely to get a sit if I catch it on the road. Our kids will be tired from the flight, so for that reason only, my plan "A" is:

To get a taxi (do not pay more than $10 US per car) from airport to UCA (University) bus terminal and from UCA to take a chicken bus ($1 or 24 cordobas per person) to Granada. My daughters will have backpacks only, but once we’ve traveled this way with small suitcases.

My plan "B" is to negotiate with a driver and to take the same cab from Granada to the airport and back.

To go back to Managua? You will see the bus depot near the main square in Granada on your walks (Calle Vega). The busses from Granada to Managua have “Managua” and “UCA” signs, or you will hear the conductor saying: Managua, Managua, UCA-UCA, Managua.

If you are catching a bus on the road, just look for the signs on the front, listen to the conductor and confirm the destination as you are getting on the bus.

However, my guess is you will prefer to play it safe and take a taxi from the airport to Granada. That’s ok, but no matter what price they quote at the airport or anywhere else, always negotiate. You don't want to pay the "gringo tax". :) Just say no and tell them your price or write it down and take if from there.

Edited: 11:03 am, January 16, 2013
Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Managua Airport to Granada

I was really happy with Paxeos. The guy was standing right there behind the glass at the exit with a sign bearing my name. It all went so smooth. They charged me 35 dollars. The trip only takes an hour and the driver has been making the trip daily for a very long time. Your hotel can probably get you a 5.00 discount. I found this out later. I had such a nice time in Granada. I made friends right away at the Dario hotel on the Calzada

Edited: 11:01 pm, January 16, 2013
6. Re: How to get from Managua Airport to Granada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 18, 2014