We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back From Granada September 2011

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
871 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back From Granada September 2011

Hi friends! I've just returned from a one-week stay in Nicaragua. Here is some information that may be helpful to anyone traveling to Granada in the near future:

1) A taxi ride to Granada from Managua was $40 USD.

2) My positive review of Hotel Con Corazon will be posted by TripAdvisor shortly.

3) The tourist attraction Fortaleza La Polvora is closed for two months.

4) There are many aggressive street vendors (pottery, sunglasses, pictures, whistles, mirrors, tobacco products) in the vicinity or Parque Colon and Calle La Calzada. Politely refuse their wares with "No gracias."

5) Kathy's Waffle House has the BEST coffee and gallo pinto in Granada. Their pancakes and omelettes are also fantastic.

6) The restaurant Mamatere appears to be closed.

7) At the restuarant "Comidas Tipicas y Mas" on Calle La Calzada, try the Tipico #2 platter.

8) The Margarita Bar and Grill (Calle La Calzada) has three rooms for rent for $20, $25, and $30 per day depending on the size of the bed in the room and number of persons staying in the room.

9) Nuestro Mundo Restaurant and Bar, located at the corner of the Parque Colon and yellow cathedral, has two red felt pool tables for rent upstairs for 60 Cordobas (~$3) per hour.

10) Wednesday night is quiz night at O'Shea's Irish Pub (Calle La Calzada) beginning at 7pm. First prize is a 750ml bottle of Flor de Cana rum, with second and third prize being free laundry service. The cost is 10 Cordoba (~50 cents) per person to play, with the money donated to a local charity organization (La Esperanza).

11) US Dollars are WIDELY accepted in Granada. If you pay in Dollars, you may receive change in Cordobas (not a problem). There is no need to use money changers that can be found standing on some street corners in Granada.

12) It is possible to climb the bell tower of the yellow cathedral next to Parque Colon if the front door of the cathedral is open. Cost: $1.

13) Do not give money to kids (8 to 12 years of age) begging on the street, especially on Calle La Calzada. They use the money to buy glue to sniff in order to get high.

14) La Disco El Club: Thursday night is ladies night. Women get in free but men pay about $7. A plastic band is put around your wrist and you are given a small white plastic cup upon entry. The white cup is for free Tona beer served at the bar all night. Great music with a modern dance floor and lots of space!

15) Tierra Tour has great tours to local sites, especially the Masaya volcano. Tour guide Carlos and driver Roberto will take great care of you. The Tierra Tour office is located on Calle La Calzada.

16) The taxi ride from Granada to Managa is $35 USD.

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Granada
Granada
Granada Department, Nicaragua
Managua
Managua
Managua Department, Nicaragua
Hotel con Corazon
Hotel con Corazon
709 Reviews
Granada, Nicaragua
Hotel La Polvora
Hotel La Polvora
82 Reviews
Granada, Nicaragua
Isla Colon
Isla Colon
Bocas del Toro Province, Panama
Kathy's Waffle House
Kathy's Waffle House
642 Reviews
Granada, Nicaragua
Hotel Cordoba Granada
Hotel Cordoba Granada
20 Reviews
Granada, Nicaragua
Restaurante El Garaje
$$ - $$$, International
Pan De Vida - Granada
$$ - $$$, Cafe, Pizza, Healthy
La Frontera
$, American, Fast Food, Bar
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back From Granada September 2011

Wonderful report!!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back From Granada September 2011

Thank you for all your great information. Traveling there in Jan. 2012

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back From Granada September 2011

2kleins---see you then!

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back From Granada September 2011

Thanks for the great review and info OP. I will try some of your suggestions this weekend.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
319 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back From Granada September 2011

Thank you for the great info. I'll be there in a few weeks and have taken notes.

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
871 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back From Granada September 2011

@Exbeachers2 and IslandAnne - Let us all know how your trip was when you get back!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
319 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back From Granada September 2011

Will do! I'll be happy to give back as I've always received so much great advice on TripAdvisor! I'll be in NIC/CR for 2 weeks and will write when I return to reality!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back From Granada September 2011

right to the point and very helpful! Thank you. Any idea of easiest way to get from Managua to San Juan Del Sur? You think rental car is safe?

Mentioned in this post
Managua
Managua
San Juan del Sur
San Juan del Sur
Rivas Department, Nicaragua
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back From Granada September 2011

So you say I don't need to convert at all? I will take US dollars down but I have Sunday free before my volunteer/Spanish lessons start. Do the atms have options for USD or Cordobas as some do in Peru?

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
871 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Back From Granada September 2011

@Cactus52: Nope. My US Dollars were accepted everywhere, from the desk of the immigration officer at the airport in Managua, to the smallest bar and restaurant in Granada. Just make sure your money is in good condition, with no tears or (excessive) ink on the notes. And I believe you are able to get US Dollars or Cordobas when you visit the ATM machine. But my preferred method has always been to take enough cash with me when I travel. I put a small amount in a change purse in my pocket, and tuck the rest in a money belt which goes under my shirt and hangs from my neck (and then leave that in the safe back at the hotel).

Mentioned in this post
Managua
Managua
Granada
Granada
Granada Department, Nicaragua