We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad experience with Paxeos Shuttle

Chicago
6 posts
Save Topic
Bad experience with Paxeos Shuttle

I had a bad experience with Paxeos. I had to take a flight at 630 AM last week (Feb 12) from Managua airport and booked the first shuttle out from Granada at 4:00 AM. I reserved my spot 3 days in advance and was asked to come to the office at 3:45 AM in the morning. To be safe I showed up at 3:40 AM. I waited until 4:20 AM and no shuttle showed up. Thankfully cabs were still running in the streets since it was early Saturday (late friday night trips for some). I just barely made it for my flight else would have been a disaster.

I'd like to highlight that when I made the booking I was kind of paranoid given the awkward timing of my flight and the possibility of not having other options at 4 AM, so when they took down my info I made sure it was all clearly written down i.e. I would be outside their office at 3:45 AM etc....and that it was a confirmed seat and that the driver stops by the office etc. Disappointing. Given the shuttle costs $18 and you can get a taxi for yourself $30 (quite easily without much bargaining), its really worth it to take a cab to MGA. If you are more than 1 person, its a no-brainer, take a taxi and they are quite fast. And in my opinion, even if you are 1 person, suck up the $12 and take a cab. Its worth it.

S. A.
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad experience with Paxeos Shuttle

I have used Paxeos like a hundred times and never had a bad experience with them. Last time I reserved a pick up at 1 am from the airport and they were there waiting for me. To me they are very reliable and affordable. Sorry you had that experience.

Chicago
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad experience with Paxeos Shuttle

Sure I think I can understand if they have had a bad day etc. However if its an important trip such as early hours or if you have a catch a flight or a ferry etc, I don't know if the savings of a few dollars are worth it.

I can understand when a business screws up - I work at one and we sometimes do. But subsequent follow-ups with Paxeos have left me frustrated. They did not respond to my 2-3 emails and a physical note I left them.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad experience with Paxeos Shuttle

It is not my intent to belittle or denigrate your report and experience; there appears to be enough details to your story that it starts becoming difficult to say it is a fabricated story to simply badmouth Paxeos (i.e. you are a competitor or something). That said, I am surprised to hear the comments. I used Paxeos and had only positive experiences. I continue to watch the Nic forums, perhaps in a way to live vicariously from my travels and memories, and can't recall ever hearing negative comments on Paxeos.

My hope is Paxeos is only having a "very bad day" and will ultimately keep this an isolated incident. I would hate to think I'd have to find someone else if/when I return to Nicaragua.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad experience with Paxeos Shuttle

Paxeos must be having a bad month. They took me for a ride.

I arrived in Managua at 1:00am. I reserved transportation in advance with Paxeos online and they sent me a confirmation which stated "This communication, that includes price, confirms your reservation." The stated price was $20.70. The driver was great, and as I was staying next door to the Paxeos office in Granada, I stopped by to make sure they were charging my card ( I had only tipped the driver and he was not sure if he was supposed to collect). At this point I was informed that the charge was $46.00. I asked why and was told it was because of late night pick up and single rider. I didn't have my confirmation with me so I left.

I went back a few days later with my confirmation slip and the girl said the $20.70 price was the mistake of a new employee and there was nothing they could do. I explained my options of contesting the difference with Visa and sharing my situation here. She said she would talk to the owner and get back to me. I've heard nothing and the full charge remains on my card.

I had only heard good things about Paxeos. Their driver was prompt, friendly and accommodating. The van was clean and well maintained. My problem lies in the fact that they charged me more than twice what they stated in the contract and acted like it was my fault.

My advice to anyone who uses Paxeos is to pay cash or check your credit card statement carefully. As for me, I'll be taking a taxi from now on.

S. A.
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad experience with Paxeos Shuttle

Might have been an honest mistake, because when I came in Spirit at 1 am, they charged me $40 plus a fuel surcharge of $6. But after your post I went to check their site again and the price they have posted is $40 for one person, so probably they are not charging you more than what they usually do.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
253 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad experience with Paxeos Shuttle

Correct quequito. It probably was an honest mistake and $46 might be the correct price. The problem is that they quoted me $20 and refused to honor the confirmed price. Mistake or not, you don't charge someone double after the fact when the mistake is yours and not theirs. For me it is not the money, but the principle. The way Paxeos handled this has lost them a customer..

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,732 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad experience with Paxeos Shuttle

quequito--Did you do the Spirit flight from Ft lauderdale--how was it? I just found that flight Maybe we will return to granada in January from dallas. Dave

S. A.
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad experience with Paxeos Shuttle

It was ok, but honestly because I brought two checked bags and a carry on, the savings were almost nothing. For the price difference I will use Spirit only when traveling without bags.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,732 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad experience with Paxeos Shuttle

Q--thanks

Dave

Kalispell
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad experience with Paxeos Shuttle

I flew into Managua on March 15th, arriving at ~8:30pm. The Paxeos representative met me (via a sign w/my name), guided me thru customs, thru the gauntlet of waiting taxi drivers, showed me to the shuttle, and with the driver, quickly and safely got me to my hotel, TerraSol, in Granada, with no problems. The fare was ~$20US IIRC.

On the return, the Paxeos driver picked me up at Hotel TerraSol (a great place to stay btw, more on this later), on March 29th, around 9am, and quickly got me to the airport in Managua. Again, the fare was ~$20US. I honestly couldn't recommend Paxeos any higher. They did exactly what they were hired to do, exactly when they were supposed to.

I have no insight on other companies operating a similar service in the area, but would not hesitate to use Paxeos again, or recommend them to friends or family. That's the highest complement I can pay - for me, they were absolutely great. As always, YMMV...

Edited: 2:46 pm, April 17, 2011