We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birdwatching, fauna and forest near Granada

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Birdwatching, fauna and forest near Granada

Hi guys,

I have two and a half free days in Granada, and would love to see some of the forests and fauna nearby. I love seeing volcanoes and the like, but I'm really most interested in animals, so any advice you have about which of these is best for bird/fauna spotting would be great. I'm particularly keen to see toucans, if that helps!

Mombacho/Las Isletas - seems as though there are several companies doing combination day trips of hiking and kayaking, which I like. Or there is the option to do the longer Puma trail, which seems as though it might be better for fauna/birdwatching?

Masaya volcano / Lago de Apoyo

Montibelli - sounds like it might be tricky to make this into a day trip, but it also sounds like it's fantastic for birdwatching - anybody been on a tour/with a guide here for a day trip from Granada?

El Chocoyero - would love to hear whether it's worth the effort.

Anyway, any advice at all would be really welcome. My main priority is to see nature and to go hiking. I'm not super-keen on really big tour groups either, so any advice you have about companies would be helpful too!

Thanks so much, and sorry for all the questions!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birdwatching, fauna and forest near Granada

Re: el chocoyero-

-from my thread "Felschurch Diary"------went to the Chocoyero Reserve with Rodolfo. Saw the parrots at the Chocoyero waterfall and an owl, a monkey and some pig like animal on the trail, You have to have a local guide and ours was very good. The other waterfall was not accessible because of a rock slide. It is a good distance from the main road to the reserve by a moderately rough road. Along the way you see pineapple fields, coffee and lots of other fruits if you have someone to name them.

On the way out we bought just picked pineapples from the picker.You need to be there between 4 and 5 pm to see the parrots come back to the wall which means you drive out in the dark.===real dark!!!

Not worth the trip if you only have limited time--it's a half day

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birdwatching, fauna and forest near Granada

Thanks so much - that's really helpful! Still working out exactly what to do but I will absolutely take your advice and either make El Chocoyero a full day or not go at all!

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birdwatching, fauna and forest near Granada

hello

Try to get intouch with Freder Ortega at Vapues tours next to the main church in granada, because he knows very well the area of monibelli and chocoyero, because if i´m not wrong he worked there for a while, also he is Crazy about birds.

Kayaking early in the morning with him is another good idea.

i wouldnt recommend mombacho for birdwatching, is that there is few in the trails that you walk. but in another hand i would recomend goin to la calera private reserve either with Tierra tours or The cholate museum wich is located on La atravezada street close of Bancentro bank

4. Re: Birdwatching, fauna and forest near Granada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 31, 2012