We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: A Merry Christmas in Nicaragua

South Carolina
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: A Merry Christmas in Nicaragua

My wife and I spent seven incredible days in and around Granada. The places, food, and especially the people touched us; we’d definitely plan to return.

Day 1: Masaya

Maria Jose is widely touted on TA’s Nica posts and she took us on a great tour in and around her home city. We started with Volcan Masaya and really enjoyed the lava tube with its bats and wild tree roots breaking through from the surface. We then dropped into Masaya for some shopping and lunch at one of her favorite local eateries. A quick side trip to Forteleza de Coyotepe was well worth it. An old fort turned prison for the past dictators—the graffiti and stains speak to the country’s darker past. We ended the day with some people watching along the shores of Laguna de Apoyo.

Day 2: Granada

Wandered the city admiring and photographing the churches and colonial architecture. We really enjoyed the Chocolate Museum and strolling around the Iglesia de San Francisco.

Day 3: Vulcan Mombacho

Ramon Parra was recommended by several ex-pats (Zoom Bar). A fascinating guy; his family fled the child conscription of 1980s, grew up in Texas, and now runs private tours, logistics, etc. in and around Granada. We had a great day enjoying the cool breeze while we explored one of the craters and its cloud forest.

Day 4: Butterfly Reserve and Cemetery

Pretty beat from the hiking, Ramon took us on a nice ½ day tour that started at the Butterfly Reserve. About a mile out of town, it’s a quick and easy way to escape Granada’s bustle and spend some time wandering the countryside. Gino guided us around the butterflies and then let us wander the grounds with its mango, avocado and citrus trees. Ramon then took us to Granada’s cemetery that I found just as impressive as those in New Orleans. His stories of the prominent Nicaraguan families were a plus.

Day 5: Ometepe

We wanted to do a couple days on the volcano islands but ferry uncertainties on Xmas Eve and Day limited us to one. Ramon came through again and we really enjoyed an unplanned stop at Museo Ceiba (great collection of Pre-Colombian pottery and funeral urns), kayaking in Chaco Verde, and the clear waters of Aqua de Ojo.

Day 6: Last Day

Ramon took us on a fun (via chicken bus and tuk-tuks) 3-hour jaunt through a few towns scattered around Masaya. We scored some locally made pottery, rum, Chicha Bruja and then finished the day with some Nica sweets and smoothies while enjoying the views from Catarina.

Final Thoughts

Nicaragua’s climate, history, places, and people are a beautiful and unspoiled collage less than four hours from ATL. We really enjoyed our time with Maria Jose and Ramon as they really helped us recognize and appreciate nuances we wouldn’t have otherwise. They were flexible, informative, and most especially, great fun. Please let me know if there are any questions!

Ramon Parra: ramonparra60@yahoo.es (505-8958-0913)

Maria Jose: masayatours@gmail.com

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: A Merry Christmas in Nicaragua

Good job with your trip report !! Sounds like you packed alot into 7 days.. My kind of travel :) Will be there in a few weeks myself.

2. Re: Trip Report: A Merry Christmas in Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 03, 2011