We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ian- need more hotel advice please!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
110 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Ian- need more hotel advice please!

Hi again Ian,

I took your advice and tried to book KB resort, and they are booked for my travel dates. At least I think they are- when I called I'm not sure if the woman I spoke with understood me. She wanted me to take a 4- person family room for 4000 baht/ night; what I wanted was a beachfront double. (My kids are 2 and 4- they can just sleep in a bed with us). Is the beach at Klong Prao better anyway? The pics of Hat Kai Bae look like the beach is very narrow.

Anyway, so I'm on to my second, third, etc choices. Paradise Resort or KP Huts? Which is better in terms of beach quality, both for nice sand and safe, shallow water for the kids to swim? Proximity of rooms to beach, food at the resort? Which place has more "character"? I would like the option of a couple other places walking distance for a drink or meal, but someplace still quiet. I know KP Huts doesn't have a pool, but my kids love the beach so much that they wouldn't notice.

By the way, I also looked at the sailing charter companies you reccomended... we are booked for 3 nights on a catamaran. It looks amazing. Thanks for your help with that. Now I just need to wrap up the plans with 2 nights at a resort after the charter....

Thanks,

Jennifer

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ian- need more hotel advice please!

Paradise and KP Huts are about as 'chalk and cheese' as you can get.

If you are happy with a basic wooden hut, mozzie net, fan and bathroom then go for KP Huts. They have aload of different types of hut, all well spaced and shaded by cocnut palms. Most of the huts are either right on the beach or less than 20-30 metres from the sand. Some, the treehouses, are built on the shore a couple of metres off the gound in trees. It's a place thats popular with fdamilies and backpakcers who want a but of quiet rahter than aplace to party. There are a few small beach bars/restaurants nearby - 5 mins walk along the beach and the local village is 15 mins walk away.

Choose Paradise if you're travelling with Samsonite luggage and need room service. Very nice place, the beachfront bungalows are only a few metres from the sand. But here you're looking at paying roughly ten times the cost of a bungalow at KP Huts.

At very high tide pretty much all the sand on the west coast beaches disappears under water. At low tide you get a 50 metre wide beach, but I think most people will agree that Klogn prao is a better beach than Kai Bae. The beach at Paradise is busier than at KP Huts but both are sandy with no stones underfoot.

2. Re: Ian- need more hotel advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, August 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ko Chang