We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Chang, Ko Makresorts; sailing help

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
110 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Chang, Ko Makresorts; sailing help

I am planning a trip to Thaiand in March and would like to spend 5 days on the beach in Ko Chang or Ko Mak. I will be with my husband and 2 kids, ages 2 and 4. I would like a moderate priced bungalow; my priority is to be right on the beach. Must be clean, and I would like something with character- no big concrete resorts. AC and swimming pools are a plus but not a necessity. I would lke to keep it under 3000 THB/night. I am considering Birali (although its a little spendy), or Paradise Resort on Ko Chang. Have also seen good things in this forum about KB resort, but its not in my guide book and I can't seem to find any info on the web. Also looking at Monkey Island on Ko Mak, which looks nice. Any advice?

Second question- I would also like to do a few days on a chartered catamaran. The only sailing company I can find around Ko Chang or Pattaya is Gulf Charters Thailand... does anyone know if there are any other charter companies operating in the Ko Chang area?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Chang, Ko Makresorts; sailing help

KB Resort website - www.kbresort.com , used to be called KB bungalows until a year ago when it went abit more upmarket and changed the name. Still a very nice place to stay though and more charachter than larger places such as Paradise - which is a big concrete resort ( but one of the nicer ones) .

On Koh Mak, Monkey Island is getting a bit faded now, not as good as it was in the past. try Baan Koh Mak for a nearby alternative on the beach - www.baan-koh-mak.com . or the new Maka Thanee Resort, just opnened last month, 8 very nice airy bungalows right by the sea - around 2000 - 2500 baht/night. Or Rayang Island Resort , just off Koh Mak, f you want a private island with good beach - www.rayang-island.com. Free boat service to Koh Mak and a nice place to really get away from it all.

Gulf Charters is the main yacht company operating out of Koh Chang, that's the only place you'll br able to charter a cat. Otherwise see Thida Yachting's website - sailing-in-thailand.com/Frames/IndivTripF.ht… - they have a couple of yeachts for charter here. . ( In September Sunsail will briing nine yachts to Koh Chang for the 07-08 high season..)

ho chi minh city
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Chang, Ko Makresorts; sailing help

Ian,

Any contact details for the Maka Thanee Resort on ko kood you mention?

cheers

claas

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
110 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Chang, Ko Makresorts; sailing help

Thanks Ian! I have been in touch with both charter companies and should be able to work something out. I will look into theresorts you mentioned. Do you have any contact info or know if there is a web site for Mak Thanee Resort?

Thanks again, Jennifer

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Chang, Ko Makresorts; sailing help

Maka Thanee doesnt have a website or email yet - only a phone number. From outside Thailand call +66 850 456 225.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
110 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Chang, Ko Makresorts; sailing help

Hi again Ian. After looking at your reccomendations, I am favoring KB resort. However, there web site is under construction. Do you have any ideas of the rates? Are the bungalows right in the beach? Private bathrooms? AC? Since I am unable to book through their web site, do you know of any other on-line booking agencies?

Thanks for your help. If I see you on Ko Chang, I will buy you a drink!

Jennifer

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko Chang, Ko Makresorts; sailing help

Time's like this i wish KB Resort paid commission . . .but they dont.

The sites unser construction but you can see photos of the bungalows and prices which were correct before Xmas at: http://www.kbresort.com/roomrate.htm - the Photo Gallery and other links work here too.

They've just built a new pool here too. Not all bungalows are on the beach but if you can stand to be 20-30 metres back then you can save money on a room. It's one of the few bungalow resorts that's tastefully built and not overcrowded. Nice garden area, nice restaurant, nice bungalows, nice staff & owners. The only fcomplaint some people have is that room rates are quite high having doubled in the past 3 years.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
110 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko Chang, Ko Makresorts; sailing help

Thanks for that link- it looks exactly like the kind of place I am looking for! Thanks again for all your help!

Jennifer

8. Re: Ko Chang, Ko Makresorts; sailing help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 25, 2009