We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visit to Koh Chang, where to stay, what to do !! ??

Which Ko Chang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
107 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visit to Koh Chang, where to stay, what to do !! ??

hi

I would be very grateful for some pertinent advice, a big question i know but!, ok my thai lady and i are planning 4 nights in KC before she has to return to work in Phuket, we have never visited there before.

I would be looking at up to £25 (£30 if pushed) ish per night for hotel/guest house hopefully with decent breakfast and a pool,

near to decent sandy beach, and not too far from restaurants/night life

Could you recommend an area/beach/hotel etc

are there 'must see' 'must do' activities in KC ? for the Koh Chang novice?

Thanks Pook

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visit to Koh Chang, where to stay, what to do !! ??

There is NO must on Koh Chang. For a lively area Whitesand Beach is spot on or Lonely Beach. Otherwise Kai Bae would do a fine job.

England
Level Contributor
107 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visit to Koh Chang, where to stay, what to do !! ??

Hi Kaibae

thanks for reply, will have a look at places on those areas

Cheers Pook

Folsom, CA
Level Contributor
63 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visit to Koh Chang, where to stay, what to do !! ??

There is one MUST. Rent a motorbike and tour the island. Amazing sights.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,814 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visit to Koh Chang, where to stay, what to do !! ??

If you rent a motorcycle be sure you have a full licence for a motorcycle in your own country plus international driving permit and good insurance.

If you do not have the correct licence you will still be able to rent a bike but will be driving it illegally and it will invalidate your insurance, you are also likely to find your travel insurance will not cover you if you should have an accident.

Chances are you would be fine but is it worth the risk.

England
Level Contributor
107 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visit to Koh Chang, where to stay, what to do !! ??

But !! how is the traffic ? Ive previously been to Pattaya, Bangkok, and Phuket

not what i would call safe (especially Pattaya) on the roads, also somewhat troubled by motor scooter scams (on return they say youve damaged the scooter ala Jet ski ?

Cheers Pook

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time visit to Koh Chang, where to stay, what to do !! ??

A scam with a motorbike is quite rare here on Koh Chang. The road are narrow, steep and dangerous, especially at nighttime and when it's raining. I don't want to post it here how many accidents we have here with motorbikes but believe me, there are many.

Yes it's true, about the best you can do is explore the island on 2 wheels.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time visit to Koh Chang, where to stay, what to do !! ??

Motor biking on Koh Chang is a definate no no after dark and when it has been raining. There's some very steep hills slippy declines when wet and stretches of darkness. I would not risk it

However down that eastern side of the island when dry and sunny have to say what a pleasure. There's so little traffic.

Compared with Koh Samui there's so little traffic and I found other road users very courteous.

We stayed at White Sands Beach in an excellent hotel called RockSands on the northern end of White Sands. Excellent value for 1000-1200 Baht per night which should be within your budget but no pool. Also two or three places where you can hire a motor bike cheap but you must buy all fuel. We clocked up the miles during the day as there's lots of places to explore probably 140 km per day

sydney
Level Contributor
389 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time visit to Koh Chang, where to stay, what to do !! ??

My first visit I rented a bike and rode back and down one side of the island. Hardly any traffic but agree daytime only. Just to be clear, you could not pay me to ride a bike in BKK, Pattaya or Phuket.

See this website for some good info: iamkohchang.com

Thailand
Level Contributor
8 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time visit to Koh Chang, where to stay, what to do !! ??

For Thais, it's common to hear that 'No snorkelling is better not go to Koh Chang at all' perhaps that's why we go snorkelling everytime we are there.

The one day trip started from 8.30 am snorkelling in 4 islands with lunch, coffee & tea on board, plus snorkel mask ended at 5.00 pm. including pick up from hotel cost only ฿700-1000, ask for Sattha Tour, you will have a great time and consider it a MUST.

England
Level Contributor
107 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time visit to Koh Chang, where to stay, what to do !! ??

many thanks for interesting replies, will bare them in mind, will almost certainly now get bikes for day time only though,

Have plumped for the Garden resort, Kai bae £25 per night pool view bungalow with bfast, in the end you have to pay your baht and take your chance, reviews for many Koh Chang hotels seem quite eclectic, a first time visit is always a bit of a lottery

Cheers Pook