We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Chang advice?

London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Koh Chang advice?

Hi,

I've arrived in Koh Chang after reading lots of nice things about it and have to admit I'm a little disappointed with my first day but wondered if it's because I'm not going to the right places!

I'm staying near Klong Prao and have taken a stroll through White Sands and Lonely Beach during the day. There are quite a lot of bars that look a bit seedy with prostitutes and the shops sell fairly tacky things. There were also some nice restaurants but lacking customers. I've visited Koh Tao, Samui and Phangan loads of times and thought Koh Chang might be similar. I was wondering if there are any areas in koh chang which is good for mosying about in shops and away from all the seedy bars??

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Lonely Beach
Lonely Beach
462 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Chang advice?

You have pretty much covered all the beach areas there except Kai Bae - that may appeal to you. Personally I have never found Chang to be as seedy as parts of Samui or certainly Pattaya. pretty easy to escape from those bars even on white sands (end where coming from ferry).

Mentioned in this post
Kai Bae Beach
Kai Bae Beach
538 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Chang advice?

You seem to have bad luck finding all the beer bars to walk past. The seedy bars tend to be closed during the daytime.

If you are on the main stretch of White Sands you wont see any beer bars. They are only located at the far south end of White Sands, away from the beach and the main shopping area. You have a kilometre of tourist shops and restaurants where you wont see any beer bars and it would be hard to find a hooker even if you wanted one.

Likewise, Klong Prao village doesn't have any real beer bars and isn't particularly touristy. Lots of normal shops. In Kai Bae there are some bars in the centre of the village but these are pretty tame.

Try Bangbao pier- some souvenir shops, seafood restaurants and pretty nice views from the pier.

Tacky souvenirs come with the territory - not a lot in the way of a sophisticated shopping experience on Koh Chang. No one comes to Koh Chang to shop. Portobello on White sand Beach has some good , unique stuff but I always tell our guests to buy souvenirs in Bangkok. .

Mentioned in this post
Kai Bae Beach
Kai Bae Beach
538 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Bangbao Beach Resort
Bangbao Beach Resort
107 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
arctica
Level Contributor
931 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Chang advice?

Didn`t you like the quiet and nice northern end of White Sand beach?

For shopping, go south to the Bang Bao pier. It is a long pier with colorful shops in old fishermen huts and a few restaurants.

Just south of this pier, there is a nice beach - I have forgot the name, sorry...

Mentioned in this post
White Sand Beach
White Sand Beach
1,655 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Bang Bao Beach
Bang Bao Beach
566 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Chang advice?

Koh Chang as you have discovered is not like Samui or Koh Phangan. The relaxed feel and the restaurants and bars on the beaches is what most visitors are after.

I must have walked around with my eyes closed thru the day as no where have i ever seen seedy bars.

Bangbao Pier may be what you are after. The shops selling clothes before the pier were less expensive than the shops on the pier.

Kai Bae i thought had more boutique shops with nicer clothes and cheaper.

Have you thought about heading into Trat town for a day. CJ

Mentioned in this post
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Bangbao Beach Resort
Bangbao Beach Resort
107 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Kai Bae Beach
Kai Bae Beach
538 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Chang advice?

Unbelievable this post by the O/P.

My two trips to Koh Chang again must be naive or walked around with my eyes closed. Never seen anything remotely seedy its a very couples sort of place.

I've stayed at the northern end of White Sands Beach where I believe its much quieter, eaten at Oodies Place sampled the lovely food & R & B music. There's plenty of shops at White Sands both sides of the road and I've never found it anything other than relaxed and respectable.

More shops at the southern port Bangbao, would recommend any of the boat trips from down there. Hire motor Bike to check out this gorgeous island including the unspoiled eastern side. Go check the elephants out, see the islands many spectacular waterfalls, Kayak rides on the sea. There's just so much to do on this island, but seedy tacky Koh Chang?? No I don't think so!!

Mentioned in this post
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Bangbao Beach Resort
Bangbao Beach Resort
107 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Chang advice?

As always you might have found what you're looking for. For a nice shopping experience make a day trip to Trat or Chantaburi. Chantaburi especially the area around Robinson, shop till you drop.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Chang advice?

Thanks very much for all the helpful advice. I found the northern part of White Sands later on and found it to be lovely! Also found Koh Chang came alive in the evening and little boutique shops popped out of no where.

I'll definitely check out the Pier and Kai Bae. Cheers again for all your help.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Kai Bae Beach
Kai Bae Beach
538 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
8. Re: Koh Chang advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, November 22, 2012