We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand or Malaysia?

Furry Creek
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand or Malaysia?

We are in Singapore for 1 week end of September and then have 9 days to spend in Malaysia or Thailand. We enjoy beautiful scenery, beaches, wildlife and culture, (unspoilt towns & villages). We cannot make our minds up whether to go to Thailand or Malaysia.

Ko Chang, Koh Samui, Langkawi and Sabah, Borneo have been recommended, can't choose which?

Please make sugestions if you have visited any of these above or new suggestions.

Thank you

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,146 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand or Malaysia?

Of the destinations you have identifiede I would suggest that Sabah, Borneo would best meet your preferrences for an enjoyable and memorable holiday. The other three, whilst having much appeal in their own right are essentially island beach holiday destinations.

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand or Malaysia?

No Moose in Thailand.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,146 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand or Malaysia?

No moose is good moose! :-)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand or Malaysia?

I would say Malaysia is probably your best option.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,057 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand or Malaysia?

Agree with the others. East Malaysia either Sabah or Sarawak is the place for you.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand or Malaysia?

Koh Chang! . . .

Only joking. Go to Sabah, loads of wildlife, cracking rainforests, easy to get around, great snorkelling & diving and not many tourists.

But double check what the weather is like there in late Sept, on Koh Chang it will probably be a bit damp - often get some very heavy downpours at that time of year.

Melbourne, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand or Malaysia?

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in the unanimous support for Sabah, which is also on our radar. Was that choice because of weather in Sept, or because of the variety of things to do?

Arandora, we had a perfect holiday at the JWM in Khao Lak last June-July (still haven't done a trip report!) and are thinking of doing the same again same time this year, or Koh Chang, Langkawi or Sabah. What would you suggest? We had a Phi Phi snorkel trip, but would like to do a bit more this time...and I know Surin/Similans are closed then.

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,146 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand or Malaysia?

I recommended Sabah because it best ticked the OP's boxes. We had a wonderful and memorable 3 week stay there including an overnight on Turtle Island and releasing baby turtles hatched on the island from eggs laid there into the ocean, thus increasing their chance of survival; an overnighter in the rain forest and visit to the Gomantong Caves; and last but not least a visit to the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre.

We stayed at the Magellan Sutera just outside Kota Kinabalu which only had a small artificial beach but you could catch a boat there across to a nearby island for white sand and clear water but dead coral! If I went again I would stay at one of the two Shangri-la resorts there.

We also enjoyed Langkawi which we found to have similar feel to Khao Lak. Never visited Koh Chang.

Decisions! Decisions!

Melbourne, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand or Malaysia?

Thank you so much - again, Arandora. You are a wonderful source of information.

Yes, they are very tough decisions, but how lucky are we to be in this position of being spoilt for choice! Despite being afraid Khao Lak will be a hard act to follow, I'm going to look into Sabah & Langkawi right now!

Portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thailand or Malaysia?

Loved Sabah!

Stayed at Hyatt in Kota Kinabalu for 3 nights, went to one of the islands for a day, moved up to the Rasa Ria Hotel which has its own Orangatun sanctuary so no need to go to Sepilok. Take a taxi trip to Mt Kinabalou - could do the overnight trek up the mountain (we didn't) but saw waterfalls, Natural baths and more orangantans. When we were there we ate in hotel restaurants which, as there were 3 of us, wasquite pricey.

Then we returned to KK and spent 3 more nights at the Tanjang Aru and ate in KK.

Fabulous holiday, looking at Sarawak for this year but is it too similar?

Get answers to your questions about Ko Chang