We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to make a flight 1pm Delhi, starting in Rishikesh

Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Need to make a flight 1pm Delhi, starting in Rishikesh

I will be staying in Rishikesh in mid-December and my flight back to the USA is leaving Delhi at 1:45pm. I guess I have three options: short flight from DED, train from Hardiwar, hire car (I'd rather not rent and drive myself).

The earliest Kingfisher flight would get to the airport at 11:40am, only leaving less than 2 hrs to check into my international flight home. Some people my wife is speaking to are saying that these flights are unreliable and are often delayed or canceled and that we could miss our flight. Is this an accurate assessment of DED flights to DEL?

I see on indiarail.gov site that there are a couple train options. There is a 0622 train that takes about 5 hours, getting me to New Delhi station at 11:15 and then 20 minute metro to the airport. This is still cutting it a little short for international check in. Are these trains more or less reliable than DED flights? There is also a midnight train that gets to Delhi at 5am, leaving PLENTY of time. Not a first choice hanging out for so long.

Lastly, hiring a car to drive us the 200 something Km. No idea how much that would cost compared to the domestic flight option. I hear it takes about 6 hours driving, right? We could leave whenever necessary to be sure to get to DEL 3 hours prior to our flight.

Thank you fellow travelers!

India
Level Contributor
39,491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to make a flight 1pm Delhi, starting in Rishikesh

You should opt the choise of hired car. It takes about 5 hrs. Since, you'll be travelling in early morning, the road would be free from traffic congestion. You should start from Rishikesh at 6 a.m. sharp. The vehicle will charge approx. Rs.3000. Which is much cheaper than low cost air fare.

Edited: 3:51 am, August 30, 2011
UK
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to make a flight 1pm Delhi, starting in Rishikesh

hiring car will be a better option !

Cheers !

Clarck

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,774 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to make a flight 1pm Delhi, starting in Rishikesh

Take a hired car, and to be on the safe side, you should leave Rishikesh by 5 AM. Its an approx 5-6 hour drive, depending on traffic. Bearing in mind your early start, your arrival in Delhi should be about 10 AM, you will land right in the middle of rush hour traffic so safer to keep another hour in hand.

Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to make a flight 1pm Delhi, starting in Rishikesh

Okay. Thank you very much for the responses. 3000 INR ($65) is quiet a bit less than what I found. Do you recommend someone reliable at about that price?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,774 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to make a flight 1pm Delhi, starting in Rishikesh

Any travel/car hire agency in Rishikesh can fix it up for you. You just have to search and ask around a bit. Make sure you tell them that you cannot afford to be late, and keep an alternative agent's number handy in case the car is late/does not show up. Don't pay anyone in advance. The road will be foggy so your car will probably not be able to speed up until late morning. So the earlier you start the better. Tell the agent you need to be in Delhi by 9 AM.

Edited: 1:03 pm, August 30, 2011
India
Level Contributor
39,491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to make a flight 1pm Delhi, starting in Rishikesh

majormajor42,

Ask any of the following agent for the taxi to drop off you at Delhi Airport from Rishikesh.

1) Trimurti Travels(Regd.),Jassa Ram Road,Haridwar.249401(Uttarakhand)

Ph. :+91-1334-227879, 226989 Mobile: +91-9837007003(Mr. Naresh) Email : info@trimurtitravels.in trmurti@nde.vsnl.net.in trimurtihardwar@yahoo.com

2) Vikrant Travels, Haridwar - Mr. Arun Garg - +919837059259 vikrantgroup@rediffmail.com.

3) Amba International Travels, Vishnu Ghat. Haridwar Phone: (0133)424432.

AshisRoy

Edited: 8:55 pm, August 30, 2011
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to make a flight 1pm Delhi, starting in Rishikesh

Okay, thanks again everybody. will be looking forward to my trip the next few months and know where to go if I have any more questions. thanks.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to make a flight 1pm Delhi, starting in Rishikesh

I would opt for the early arrival train.

The times are about right for the drive (without hitches) but this is India. There are always hitches. I have found flights, trains, and car journeys all take much longer than you want, and particularly when you dont want them to. The one thing I have learned from my many trips to India is dont cut times too fine. Trains dont just arrive 10 minutes late they can be several hours late, and often are

I think you will find the costs mentioned for taxis are on the conservative side. Fuel costs in India have risen sharply.

I would be happy to be proved wrong on that one though

9. Re: Need to make a flight 1pm Delhi, starting in Rishikesh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, October 16, 2012